• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Harrington Column Mounted Horn Switch

NN LeMans

Donation Time
I am looking for momentary, or spring loaded, horn switch with stalk as used on the Harrington Alpines and LeMans steering columns. A NOS or good used switch would work nicely, but if not, any leads or suggestions as to a reasonable looking substitute would be most helpful. Anything with a stalk will be better than my current chrome toggle switch.

65beam

Donation Time
horn switch

i used an overdrive switch . my originals on both of my cars are unlike anything i have been able to find at flea markets such as carlisle and hershey .

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've never seen the switch you're needing, but it sounds a lot like the Wipac momentary switches that were often used on BMC works cars... I had them in my Mini and other cars over the years, and Wipac stuff was sometimes used on Sunbeams... certainly it's at least 'period correct'...

Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BMC-Works-Coope...D2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122

!BQmyW9!!2k~$(KGrHgoH-D0EjlLlyn79BJ50Zi897!~~_12.JPG

65beam

Donation Time
horn switch

the harrington switch is similar in appearance as far as the stalk, but the mounting is different . the originals off of my cars have a threaded base and the two wires come out the center. harrington had an angled mount that set against the steering column and the threaded base went thru the bracket and had a nut to hold it . the bracket had two slots that a clamp went thru and clamped it to the column . i just went out to my shop and checked them and they have no identification markings of any kind .you had to hold them for the length of time that you wanted the horn to sound .

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you post a pic of them maybe I can ID them as per original manufacturer (if they are non-Rootes sourced). I've seen lots of bits over the years, maybe it will strike a nerve ending that remembers where I saw them.

The Wipac switch I showed earlier would also have to be held for the time it needed to be activated - it's a momentary switch, used mostly for headlight flashing in works cars, although I've seen them used as OD switches, too. It is secured by drilling a hole, passing it through the back of the hole and securing it with a knurled nut from the outside, much like the Sunbeam dashboard switches.

NN LeMans

Donation Time
HLM Horn Switch

Thank you all for your comments. I have attached two photos of the horn switch in question as it is attached to the steering column. The pictures are of John Bruney's car taken when he still owned it, thus the switch shown should be the original one. The horn switch is the first switch or the one closest to the steering wheel so that it could be reached with the fingertips to blow the horn. As it is a momentary, or spring loaded, switch holding it up made contact to blow the horn and releasing the stalk alllowed it to return to its neutral, or non-contact, position. The turn signal switch for the HLM is on the right side of the column and is in the same position relative to the wheel. The switch closest to the dashboard on the left side of the column is the OD switch.

The horn switch is mounted as described by 65Beam. There is a threaded portion that protrudes from the switch when it is inside the column housing and a chrome, knurled nut is slid over the stalk and threaded on to hold the switch in place. The switch stalk in the photos appears to be a reddish color but I thought it was black when I saw it. It may be the way the sun is hitting the switch. Any help or leads will be helpful.

Attachments

• J_Bruney_HLM.jpg
    J_Bruney_HLM.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 36
  • J._Bruney_HLM_Wheel.jpg
    J._Bruney_HLM_Wheel.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 33

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hard to see from the pics - can't really see the knob and that would really help a lot. But from what I can see, it doesn't really look exactly like anything I've seen on UK cars in the past. I still think it's probably a Wipac switch, though it may also be a variation on an early Triumph overdrive switch, though... see:

eBay Link

f0_1.JPG

65beam

Donation Time
horn switch

neither one is right . the last one shown is close,but the threaded part has to be where the wire hookups are . no room to use it . can't take a picture since i'm in carlisle for the import and won't be home untill middle of next week . time to play with the beams for a few days !

NN LeMans

Donation Time
Harrington Horn Switch

Thanks for all the input but I am still looking for a suitable column mounted horn switch for my HLM. Does anyone have a part number and manufacturer of an original or a photo of the switch, especially the length of the stalk (arm). I have used a Triumph overdrive switch on the column to replace the toggle switch that was originally there and it seems to fit OK. I still need to find a suitable horn switch to replace the toggle switch used to operate the horn. 65Beam, you seemed to have some good observations. Could you post any more details or please send me a PM? Thanks.

NN LeMans