• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Harland Sharp Roller Rocker Arms

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
There are other threads dealing with roller rockers,

Here is one:

But I decided to start a new thread about the Harland Sharp rockers.

The HS rockers for an Alpine are listed available from Summit.

So, the questions start...

-- Has anyone bought them recently?

-- Do they come with adjusters?

-- have you checked the ratio?

-- Are you happy with them?

DW

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
There are other threads dealing with roller rockers,

Here is one:

But I decided to start a new thread about the Harland Sharp rockers.

The HS rockers for an Alpine are listed available from Summit.

So, the questions start...

-- Has anyone bought them recently?

-- Do they come with adjusters?

-- have you checked the ratio?

-- Are you happy with them?

DW
Dan not sure about recently... Jerry might be a good point of call..

I know they changed designs while back as they had several of the early style fail.
Mine are the higher ratio 1.6..

Photos attached.

Attachments

• mmexport1709308908077.jpg
    mmexport1709308908077.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 24
  • mmexport1709308906015.jpg
    mmexport1709308906015.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 25

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Why would they fail on Alpines? I'd think that a long time rocker arm place like Harland Sharp would not have a bad design. Is there something odd or different about Alpine heads that puts different stresses on the rockers?

Mine are still fine at this point. Glad to see Dan's link to my experience.

I just went through my old thread. It looks like I found that Harland made the rockers for Creative.

Last edited:

Five Reviver

Silver Level Sponsor
I bought a set in 2022 from Classic Car Performance.
They did come with adjusters.
We didn't check the ratio, Just fitted and ran them. We used solid tubes cut to fit instead of the spring spacers.
And yes, happy with them. Engine seemed to rev more freely and smoothly. (Perhaps it was just quieter up top). No testing other than seat of the pants.
One comment though, as to inconsistent ratio information: My vendor lists them as 1.6:1. Harland Sharp website doesn't list them at all. Summit has two listings for Alpine S11701 and S11702 but doesn't state the ratios. Then I found them at TRE Performance, listing S11701 as 1.4:1 and S11702 as 1.5:1.
Perhaps drop a line to Harland Sharp to resolve.

62491719099__14CF3AE5-689A-491C-AAEE-684F34D23AFD.jpeg

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
I sent an email to HS the same day I posted this thread.

Crickets so far.

....I did notice there is quite a lead time to get them...

...maybe I'll get an email in half the time?

DW

alpine_64

Donation Time
Why would they fail on Alpines? I'd think that a long time rocker arm place like Harland Sharp would not have a bad design. Is there something odd or different about Alpine heads that puts different stresses on the rockers?

Mine are still fine at this point. Glad to see Dan's link to my experience.

I just went through my old thread. It looks like I found that Harland made the rockers for Creative.
Jay as I said apparently they modified the design after they had some failures in the early batches .

As for how/why...I don't know ..I do know they fractured.

Re them having a design issue... I highly doubt they did a bunch of R&D on them.. the shop that first did them for was a race shop and they offered it as a kit with bee hive valves and titanium retainers... At the time they were unsure of stock rocker ratios etc.. probably some old threads with Jarrids comments on them...
So perhaps they had bad info re tollerace... Either way I'm sure the initial customers did the test miles... Not HS doing a bunch of dyno work.. if major car mfgs have recalls and problems...no surprise a small production run of stuff may suffer some long term issues..

Anyway.. the newer design apparently fixed it...I was worried on mine as they were installed before I got.the car and on a motor built in 2010.. so I wanted to know if I had got the newer or later design.