• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hardtop storage

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

For those with hardtop's on their Alpine or Tiger, is there a right or a wrong way to store them when the weather is great? I'm sorry if this sounds like a silly question :eek: , but I was just wondering if they warp/twist when sitting around :confused: .

Thank you, Robin.

jack Bacon

Donation Time
I have been considering this also. The options i have found are -

A wheeled padded cradle for storing the hardtop vertically - easy access, easy to store maybe under a shelf system with the bottom shelfs removed

A cable and pulley system to store at the garage ceiling - garage stores sell cable and pulley systems that would work or save money and make your own. Careful the rope doesn't slip out of your hand or lets go from the wall cleat.

A 5' x 5' shelf hung from the garage ceiling - big grid ceiling hung shelves are available from garage stores. Would need a couple ladders and two people to lift and slide onto shelf awkward and potential for accidents

Any other ideas out there besides selling the hardtop to you!

Regards,

Jack

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Jack,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't have a huge garage (6m x 6m) and due to this storage areas are a premium. I think the best option for me is the pulley system which I had already been considering (just need to position it so that my lighting does not get compromised). Have you or anyone else heard of the hardtops warping/twisting at all while in storage?

Thanks again, Robin.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Robin,

My experience is limited to three later tops, one plastic, none have warped while off the car during the summer months.

Allan

jack Bacon

Donation Time
My hardtop is a Series II aluminum hardtop and has been fine. It's currently in the basement waiting for restoration.

Regards,

Jack

napa 1

Donation Time
You can buy hard top lifts that are made currently for lifting mercedes and other hardtops. http://www.hoistlifts.com/mercedes.htm

I rigged up my own hard top hoist using a kit that is sold to hang bikes, works well, but takes some adjusting to lift the top evenly. It has a safety stop on the pulleys so if you let go of the rope, the hardtop won't come crashing down.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I picked up that very item for this very purpose about a month ago. Plan is to install a unistrut track/trolley arrangement to slide it over from the parking bay to above the boat in the next bay.

Regarding lifting sling, I'm considering a plan that uses a front spreader that fastens to the front just like the windshield does, using crappy, pitted, corroded latches (anybody got some?) and padded nylon straps to hold up the back. There would probably be an intermediate spreader so that the loads were nearly vertical, rather than diagonal on the top.

Or, just a big magnet with an on/off switch.

Ken