• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hardtop rust restoration

Gary M

Donation Time
Has anyone had experience with the weld in corners for a series V hardtop? If you did, was it good or bad? Where did you get the weld in corners? Is there more than one maker? VB had one corner only advertised, not both. Was it worth the money? How did it come out? What did you do to prevent the new corners from rusting out?

Thanks for your answers
Gary

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Rob Martel is the only show in town. The hardtop sheetmetal is thinner than the body, looks about 22 ga.
Jan

mikephillips

Donation Time
While I had mine apart I epoxy primed and painted down in the corners. Doesn't have to be pretty since no one can see it, it just need to cover the metal. As for the corner where the rail under the window meets the back end, I don't believe the joint was welded, it was only attached at the bottom of the hardtop corner by a couple of spotwelds. The VB corner can work, but you'll need to keep in mind it's only the rail without the section that mounts to the bottom of the rear corner so to us them you need to fabricate a piece to add on. Not difficult to do if you have a few metalworking skills. That confusing enough......