• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hardtop rear plexiglass-new or make?

Lolat324

Donation Time
So, I'm finally off my long electrical journey...and onto what I'm guessing is another hard issue. My Srs 3 Gt hardtop rear plexi is shot-no amount of polishing will solve the crazing. With any backlite-the light is blinding and looking our the rear view mirror is a no go. An online Sunbeam supplier says they are out and don't expect more in-for a long time. Any ideas? Is the plexi flat? Or does it have a slight curve just due to the shape of the rear window frame. Prefer to simply buy it. I appreciate ideas or sources.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Usually places that make aircraft plastic windows will make one. Down here in Long Beach California there is such a place that made tinted ones for the club here . I asked them as recently as last year and it seemed like it was a couple hundred dollars for a window I can't remember exactly. Are you saying that Sunbeam Specialties is sold out?

Lolat324

Donation Time
Usually places that make aircraft plastic windows will make one. Down here in Long Beach California there is such a place that made tinted ones for the club here . I asked them as recently as last year and it seemed like it was a couple hundred dollars for a window I can't remember exactly. Are you saying that Sunbeam Specialties is sold out?
Thanks Warren, yes Sunbeam Specialties is out. Just ordered yesterday and recieved a reply this morning. We have some airplane guys up here, I'll check around.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The rear windows in the S3-V tops are basically flat in perimiter but they are a double convex profile in section..

I think the club in victoria Australia may have some left... They did a run of the late and early rear windows a few years back.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
They are definitely not flat I have one here that I have this brand new from SS.. I have my glass one installed. I don't know if one of the guys has given up on putting it in his car he had it on eBay for a while I don't think it's sold. There was a Tiger owner that was local who also ran a movie car glass shop that made custom windshields for cars specifically for the movies with holes in them so they could shoot the cameras through etc. etc. He had a kiln and he had a mold to make the windows. I suspect it was pretty easy to make the lexan ones you cut them out with a jigsaw sticking on top of the mould bake and voila.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
If the optical problems are not internal, you can try clear coat paint. I did this with a Parrish top rear window and it worked great. The plexi does not even have to be smooth prior to painting. The paint does a great job of filling nick and cracks and the finish is more durable than plexi. However, internal crazing lead me to eventually replace it.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
An online Sunbeam supplier says they are out and don't expect more in-for a long time. Any ideas?

Suppose we take a survey as to how many want, need, will buy a new window (Rear and Side) then make contact with SS or Cs or ? and see if they would be willing to do have some produced?

I for one would buy 2 sets (Rear and Side).

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Although I usually don't drive at night last night a tinted one would be nice. I'll tint my glass h/t windows.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Suppose we take a survey as to how many want, need, will buy a new window (Rear and Side) then make contact with SS or Cs or ? and see if they would be willing to do have some produced?

I for one would buy 2 sets (Rear and Side).
Great idea I will take two!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Guys, I just started a new thread asking who would be willing to buy the windows for the Hardtop (SIII, SIV, SV & Tigers).

alpine_64

Donation Time
So... I suppose a flat piece of Lexan won’t work?
Kevin.. You could technically use that... My fathers car had a flat peice of persoex when we first got it.. But it didnt sit in the rubbers well and didnt seem to have the strength of the twin convex part when it came to high speed driving and the pressure begins to pull on it..

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Isn't there a solution that involves a Chevy Nova windshield? The result makes the hardtop even heavier, but I assume it would produce a nice view out the rearview mirror.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Guys, I started a new thread asking who would be willing to buy the windows for the Hardtop !

I started out with the later series and am now including the early also:

EARLY: Series I and II

Late: Series SIII, SIV, SV & Tigers

I guess I should ask for E-mails/Phone Numbers/ Name and Address for shipping too, some point along the way?

Don't post that info here on the Forum..... Send to my E-mail address. tiger2dan at gmail dot com

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Someone should buy the mold from the glass guy in Burbank.
That's what clubs are for to help put together guys. If someone is closer than me it may take a little bit to get by his secretary.
Tiger guy sold the business and now the new owner seems to be happy to let it sit. There is a thread on CAT about the weight difference. I certainly would argue that since it's already very awkward to lift and real hard to do alone anyway it's not a big deal.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
That's way bigger the two-door hardtop would probably be the best one cuz it's the flattest.