• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hardtop plexiglass windows

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
The picture is from an estate sale in Minnesota. The storage part is what happens after the owner passes away and an estate sale service compiles parts.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
After the many estate sales I've been too I call those old growth forests. Very few and far between anymore.

But back to the original thread. I looked up a maker of airplane plastic windows near the Long Beach California airport. I asked them their price for a tinted version and it was well above the price of a Sunbeam Specialties one in clear with film applied. That was my wish list item as I have a glass window set from a fellow Tiger owner who's since sold the business. I was thinking to tint both after seeing and hearing a pal's car, and his "it helps as every cars headlights are bad when the come up behind."

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
View attachment 15145 View attachment 15143 View attachment 15144 Recently aquired a complete hardtop that has not been restored on a barn find with good layer of dirt on it. When cleaned the windows are in very good condition no hazing. There is a marking on all 3 with Perspec A.S.4. Does any one know if that was the original plexiglass for Hardtops Series 3-5?

Any chance you could post an image of the markings on the rear window? So I can see the location of the marking?

Thanks!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I would not be afraid to try to drive the piston down, just to break it loose, then push it out the top.

I have been told by professionals that plexiglass cannot be tinted using plastic film. I lightly sanded a plexiglass window and painted it with clear topcoat, it sanded and buffed out real nice and never came off. I finally replaced it, the internal crazing got pretty bad. I think that a person that wanted a tinted plastic window could fog it with a light coat of black paint.

Bill

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Not to quote my own thread by I was speaking of tinting my custom glass AS2 rear and side windows.

At one point CAT sold a tinted back window. I suspect that the window was made my someone who did or does aircraft windows. One thing I do know is anything that can go on a aircraft or is made by a aircraft provider is expensive.
My information comes from a multiple Lord Rootes winner who actually has a tinted window in his black car. He says he loves it because it knocks down on headlights blasting in his rearview mirror.
from much higher SUV's.

I have a number of a shop in Burbank. The old Tiger owner sold the business with its kiln and molds. Like anything else the new owner has to be swayed into the job by an economy of scale . I had about 6 who wanted glass but it wasn't enough. Glass is a pain in the a___ to ship and the plastic from the L.B. airport was priced like an airplane parts, again not enough economies of scale for plastic windows.
My VW conv has a glass back window, my Falcon a plastic one that was a every 2 year PITA reason many mfgs. stopped convertible production in the 80s I think....
Insert geezer pondering emojee....

I would bet since everything costs more in California someone out of the area could find a small airplane shop or glass shop it has a kiln large enough that could help out.
Or DiY and try patterning and bending your own. The SS one looks to be jig saw cut and somewhat rough around the edges.
I will share any and all contact information for the person who wants to pick up either the glass project or help. I got my glass window from the only run the glass shop made. My hard top is waiting for me to gain patience to fit those @#$__&+(/
rubber parts.....

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
IMG_2387.JPG
Any chance you could post an image of the markings on the rear window? So I can see the location of the marking?

Thanks!
Pete-It's in the lower LH corner under the faded Marine decal shown. Will get a better pic tomorrow to confirm.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
I would not be afraid to try to drive the piston down, just to break it loose, then push it out the top.

I have been told by professionals that plexiglass cannot be tinted using plastic film. I lightly sanded a plexiglass window and painted it with clear topcoat, it sanded and buffed out real nice and never came off. I finally replaced it, the internal crazing got pretty bad. I think that a person that wanted a tinted plastic window could fog it with a light coat of black paint.

Bill
Bill- Got the piston out by removing the crankshaft and tapped the piston down first and then out the top. Decided to go the V6 route on this one. Acquired a 2.8 & 4-speed from a 280i TVR with low miles. A less expensive alternative, Let the adventure begin!-Al

alpine_64

Donation Time
Perspex is brand of clear plastic, iirc French .. Much like bic birros ans d Hoover vaccums the name became the generic term for that type of product

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
Not to quote my own thread by I was speaking of tinting my custom glass AS2 rear and side windows.

At one point CAT sold a tinted back window. I suspect that the window was made my someone who did or does aircraft windows. One thing I do know is anything that can go on a aircraft or is made by a aircraft provider is expensive.
My information comes from a multiple Lord Rootes winner who actually has a tinted window in his black car. He says he loves it because it knocks down on headlights blasting in his rearview mirror.
from much higher SUV's.

I have a number of a shop in Burbank. The old Tiger owner sold the business with its kiln and molds. Like anything else the new owner has to be swayed into the job by an economy of scale . I had about 6 who wanted glass but it wasn't enough. Glass is a pain in the a___ to ship and the plastic from the L.B. airport was priced like an airplane parts, again not enough economies of scale for plastic windows.
My VW conv has a glass back window, my Falcon a plastic one that was a every 2 year PITA reason many mfgs. stopped convertible production in the 80s I think....
Insert geezer pondering emojee....

I would bet since everything costs more in California someone out of the area could find a small airplane shop or glass shop it has a kiln large enough that could help out.
Or DiY and try patterning and bending your own. The SS one looks to be jig saw cut and somewhat rough around the edges.
I will share any and all contact information for the person who wants to pick up either the glass project or help. I got my glass window from the only run the glass shop made. My hard top is waiting for me to gain patience to fit those @#$__&+(/
rubber parts.....

I also found that the SS version, while the best out there, doesn't not fit the window opening in the hardtop as well as the original. Particularly in the corners. I had the opportunity to compare the SS version to the original that came with my hardtop. I regret not making a pattern from the old window, which was heavily crazed, before I disposed of it.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I believe it is the rubber not the shape of the window that causes the ill fitting in the corners. I recall Rick at SS affirms as well. My glass one was fashioned by a professional glass shop . I also had an purported to be tinted plastic from CAT in the 80s it was dead on with the glass one . I used the tinted window as packing support I my pals window set. I had one original and it was set over its replacement and I recall no diff france ;) and thanks for the French lesson Michael :)