• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

hardtop fit?

jimfai

Donation Time
may sound like a silly question, but before sending my hard earned money off i just wanted to make sure; will a hardtop on a 1967 fit right on to my 1968? thanks, happy and safe memorial day.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have no experience with the factory hardtops, but from what I've heard, each installation is somewhat of a custom fit. By that, I mean do not plop it on and expect it to fit perfectly, or even have all the attachment points to function properly. At least not all at the same time. It will probably take some adjusting, especially to have the hardtop AND the soft top to fit.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
fit

bill is right about the hardtop not being a simple set it on and go . the shop that restored the series 4 had to readjust the windshield frame, trunk lid, soft top frame and windows so that the soft top and hard top both fit right. even though the soft top frame fit, the hardtop latches would not snap in place on the windshield. he also had to shave down the rubber hard top corner pads. it seems the aftermarket pads are thicker than originals. he also had to use rubber shims under the B post caps for the snaps to work right. now I know why there was rubber under them originally. now the windows set in the rubber around the frame and the windows properly fit the hardtop. everything fits good after several weeks of work .

jimfai

Donation Time
hardtop

thanks guys, seller mentioned something about swapping me the boot hinges from my car with his? is this how they attach? i have no experience with sunbeam ones.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yeah, the top attaches to holes in the front of the hinges. But all (stock ones, anyway) hinges have the holes, so I'd guess yours are in better shape than his.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
fit

we used a set of new hinges and found the holes for the locating pins did not suit him nor did the replacement pins and the pieces that attach to the top. everything got machined and modified. you would have to know who did it to understand the reasoning.

mattinoz

Donation Time
we used a set of new hinges and found the holes for the locating pins did not suit him nor did the replacement pins and the pieces that attach to the top. everything got machined and modified. you would have to know who did it to understand the reasoning.

Be aware that both the boot hinges and the corresponding locating pieces on the hardtop are matched and are left and right. You will see the pins are slightly angled as are the locating holes in the hinges.

65beam

Donation Time
fit

we're well aware of this. the person that has been working on this car has several decades of knowledge of restoring sunbeams. many of the reproduction parts do not fit right so we either modify them or refurbish and restore original parts. there is no lack of sunbeam knowledge on his part.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I had no end of trouble trying to get my hardtop to fit my S3. Never got it quite right. Then the other day, I took the hardtop off my Tiger just to see if it would fit better - because it fit so well on the Tiger. Well, it popped right on.

So, it is a problem with my S3 top. I still think it is a combo between the corner rubber pads being too thick and the pins on the back needing to be slid down or something - if this is even possible.

65beam

Donation Time
fit

I was at the shop yesterday and we compared an original set of the chrome piece that have the locating pins and found the reproductions to be different. the original pieces have the pins at an angle, the repros don't have as much angle. that doesn't allow them to locate correctly.