• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hardtop dilema

phatt

Donation Time
Hi! I'm finishing up the restoration of my series V hardtop and I've run into a problem. I knocked out the various pins and rivets that hold the hardtop clamps together. I would like to replace them as some are less than straight. I've checked with SS and classic Sunbeam, various local speciality fastener companies, and the internet ( been on that for hours) with no luck. Someone must have some answers as I'm sure that I'm not the only one to experience this frustration. What have others done? I would also like to replace the rubber grommet that attaches to the rear vent window. Can anyone help? Thanks for any help. Paul:confused:

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi! I'm finishing up the restoration of my series V hardtop and I've run into a problem. I knocked out the various pins and rivets that hold the hardtop clamps together. I would like to replace them as some are less than straight. I've checked with SS and classic Sunbeam, various local speciality fastener companies, and the internet ( been on that for hours) with no luck. Someone must have some answers as I'm sure that I'm not the only one to experience this frustration. What have others done? I would also like to replace the rubber grommet that attaches to the rear vent window. Can anyone help? Thanks for any help. Paul:confused:

Just a quick thought.Wouldn't a dowel pin work?They come in so many sizes.
I bought a box of all different sizes.Amazing how handy they have become.Fix the drive on the snowblower.Yes it needed a dowel pin.Fixing some old stuff.Drive a dowel pin in.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
The only issue with dowel pins is that they may rust. I'd get a local machinist to turn you down some stainless pins - it's a dead-easy job and should only take a few minutes using round stock or even some stainless bolt shanks.

As for the vent window seal, I think Sunbeam Specialties has those, no?

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Paul, google Fastenal, using the search function, type in steel spring pins, then look for the All Other Refinements and choose s/s under materials heading. Jeff

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just a quick thought.Wouldn't a dowel pin work?They come in so many sizes.
I bought a box of all different sizes.Amazing how handy they have become.Fix the drive on the snowblower.Yes it needed a dowel pin.Fixing some old stuff.Drive a dowel pin in.

Chuck, are those hardened pins? If so, don't use them on the snow blower drive. They depend on soft pins to shear in order to protect the drive mechanism. Hard pins will destroy it.

Bill

phatt

Donation Time
hardtop hardware

Thanks, I'll try fastenal tomorrow. The rubber grommet i am looking for goes in the hole in the plexiglass rear quarterglass. Thanks, Paul

mikephillips

Donation Time
The rubber piece, actually 2 pieces, used for the connection of the open/close clamp to the window has never been reproduced. What I'd suggest is going through the rubber fender washers at the hardware store and pick 2 for each side that are as thin as possible, cut to diameter when fitting. Then a short section of rubber tube, only as long as the thickness of the plexi, to go in the hole. This will replicate the original setup.