• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

hardtop custom

alpine_64

Donation Time
michael,

i must tell you i have never seen a hard top with a vinyl covering. think about it.

Hmm.. thought about it.. i agree you havent seen one.. i have seen a couple.. on both early and late styles. Like i said, not factory, but things people did in period. Perhaps more popular in the UK and AU than in you neck of the woods. That said i have also seen the aftermarket tops in the USA with the vynil/textures finsh. Last one was on ebay a little while hack, was a S3 with a squared off raar hardtop (maybe a parish top) with side portal windows early thunderbird style.

As a side note i have seen several of the series rapiers (pre fastbacks) with the vynil roof too.,, worked quite well as they often had two tone schemes.

bluoval

Donation Time
Roots 66 to the rescue

My thanks to Roots 66 for the photos, The questions I had were solved. This forum with all the members realy is a great help...The post was posted on the modified alpine because both theTiger and Alpine are customs..with the Alpine V6 conv having a Late 60s early 70s theme with creature comforts. will post photos of the build in the near future. Thanks Earl bluoval

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
michael,

i must tell you i have never seen a hard top with a vinyl covering. think about it.

The factory hard top that came with my green car has black vinyl covering.

It was well done, as the chrome side-rails were removed to install the vinyl and the edges along the front fold were very neatly made.

It was starting to come loose and looked bad so I am in the process of removing it.

Underneath the color of the top is an odd shade of pale blue, but I'm uncertain if that's due to a remnant of the glue, or just what, so far.

The car went into long term storage in 1980 so, assuming the top was on the car the whole time, the vinyl was applied prior to 1980, or during storage.