• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hard top: "Easy rust repair"

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I believe even I would pass on this one.

Best to remove all of the pieces of hardware and the trim, scrap the rest.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Best to remove all of the pieces of hardware and the trim, scrap the rest.

With what they're asking for it, I'd agree with Dan. It does have the rear trim that's so often missing.
Having said that, I've seen worse restored, but it's a lot of work.

Steve

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
This is a hijacking of the thread, but it is my post, so...

I just re-watched Tim R's YouTube video on hard top repair (
). I'll get to mine eventually (I have three that need work; two for the Tigers Mototron and I are verrrrrry slowly restoring and one for my cars) and seeing this one has me at least thinking ahead to the task. Does anyone know of other documentation of the process besides Tim's? How about patch panels? Are there good sources in the US for them?

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Did you notice the fine print?

Sorry Dan, didn't see that.

Jim I know that VB used to sell panels that they said were for the hard tops.
I have no experience with those. I made my own and they worked out pretty well.

Steve

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Almost laughable as I posted same thing to other forum. Just add a squaring shear a sheet metal brake, a MIG , cut off tools and sheet metal and probably 100 bucks to dip the top and hope something comes out of the solution. Then 600 to 800 to paint it about 400 in rubber and windows and then big bucks for the hardware chroming. Yeah maybe easier to buy it done or at least rust free. I think I will save 3 rd top to make a for sale project car more appealing.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Almost laughable as I posted same thing to other forum. Just add a squaring shear a sheet metal brake, a MIG , cut off tools and sheet metal and probably 100 bucks to dip the top and hope something comes out of the solution. Then 600 to 800 to paint it about 400 in rubber and windows and then big bucks for the hardware chroming. Yeah maybe easier to buy it done or at least rust free. I think I will save 3 rd top to make a for sale project car more appealing.
I did a top way back Dipped etc. made a small repair to one corner probably had 1500. bucks in it including the cost of the top.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The one I have for my cars is the best of the three. I haven't seen it in several years (in storage with my S3 until my house is finished) but I believe it is rust free. However, one of the lower side pieces (below the side windows) was bent in at some point and then straightened back out, resulting in a kink and a weak spot in the metal. I am not sure how I will fix that, but it is so far down my list of Sunbeam things to do that it will be years before I start posting questions on it!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The one I have for my cars is the best of the three. I haven't seen it in several years (in storage with my S3 until my house is finished) but I believe it is rust free. However, one of the lower side pieces (below the side windows) was bent in at some point and then straightened back out, resulting in a kink and a weak spot in the metal. I am not sure how I will fix that, but it is so far down my list of Sunbeam things to do that it will be years before I start posting questions on it!
The subject will prolly get lost in the raging discussion of where best to stash the Lithium Ion cells.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
This hardtop was in very bad condition. Almost to the point I did not want to give it a try to restore.

Bought it for $75.00 w/out hardware or any trim. A friend hauled it from OH during a Christmas break.

I have lots of PIC's of the condition before I bought it and made many afterwards during the restoration.

Given a bright idea to "fix" the front which was perhaps the worst, I utilized a soft top bow as a replacement for the terrible rusted front area. In order to keep the top from being warped during the work process, we used one of my SIV Alpines for fitting & forming the top.

Don't know how to have done a better job of making sure the restored top would fit any better:)

Chem Dipped and primed it is pictured on my '65 SIV Colour Code 70

Just and idea on how to fix a beyond repair Hardtop front piece.Alpine late model Metal Hardtop to be restored     1674.JPG Alpine late model Metal Hardtop to be restored     1676.JPG Alpine late model Metal Hardtop to be restored     1675.JPG Alpine - Late Model Hardtop Being restored       1698.JPG Alpine - Late model hardtop to be restored     1693.JPG Alpine - Late model hardtop to be restored     1685.JPG Alpine - Late model hardtop to be restored    1687.JPG Alpine - Late Model Hardtop Being restored       1720.JPG Alpine 3819 New Wires and Tires - 1725 Engine - Chem Dipped Hardtop      20190318_170449.jpg

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Back to the original topic, if only for a second: I just looked at the listing and there is 1 bid at $350! "Reserve not met", but I hope the bidder knows what he is getting into, or is just interested for the parts.

65beam

Donation Time
Back to the original topic, if only for a second: I just looked at the listing and there is 1 bid at $350! "Reserve not met", but I hope the bidder knows what he is getting into, or is just interested for the parts.
The parts will easily surpass the 350.00

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
The parts will easily surpass the 350.00
At least I think the rear screen is 175 bucks? not counting the head liner and all the seals I just put a Robbins Stay Fast top on the pig seemed more practical and economical. nothing is inexpensive from the left coast.