• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hard Tires?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm continuing to play around with the carb, finally got it to make some power, although it is still very lean. Today, stopped at the bottom of a hill for a guy turning left, decided to wind it out. Pulled pretty good to 5500, shifted to second and the rear tires broke loose. But they did not squeal. Not even a chirp. More of a whirrr. Sounded like someone jammed a piece of wood into a belt sander. This has never happened to me before. Not even using tires with a bazillion mile tread life expectancy. What would cause this? Can relatively new tires be so hard it will not squeal?

Oh yes, the pavement was dry. No rain for two days
Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Bill,

That happened to me when I was accelerating in damp conditions in the Tiger which is similar to the sound you described. To me it sounds like there was fairly low friction between the road and your tyres (and already having momentum), causing the sound you heard not screeching.

Regards, Robin.

Jim E

Donation Time
Bill,
The Sumitomo tires I have do the same thing, rare do they make a screech but they will certainly spin.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tires are 165R-13 mounted on 5.5" wheels. Haven't checked pressure lately, try to keep it at 28 psi.

Ken, no keys. I am running the Ford 8" which is has the "hub" friction (so I've read) welded to the axle.

Bill