• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hand painted Alpines

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Sorry about the delay, disorganised as usual. Pics below of the grill aperture of an original SIV GT showing the artistic flair of our friends at Rootes circa 1964.

You need to study the shots for a bit to work out what's what (kinda like those magic eye pages), but the areas shown below are where the topic was headed in the previous "trunk panels" thread. I'm assuming this technique was also used on the SV, what we have yet to confirm is what was going on with the series I to III.

Lance.

Attachments

• DSC01678.JPG
    DSC01678.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC01680.JPG
    DSC01680.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC01682.JPG
    DSC01682.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC01683.JPG
    DSC01683.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC01689.JPG
    DSC01689.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 161

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
That's great, Lance... thanks for that. Did they also paint the flat (horizontal) part of the valence (i.e. inside the grille aperture) behind the chrome strip?

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Kevin,

Yes, the "floor" and the angled area to the rear are coated as well. This is probably the most relevant part with any of the light coloured cars since it's the bit you notice first.

The lower mould covers the border between black and body colour and I guess they had a template of some sort on the production line to prevent any wiggly edges.

Cheers, Lance.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hand painting of the exterior finish was not unusual in Britain up to the early 1970's. Done by an experienced hand with celluouse and sanded properly, it gives a very good finish.