• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Great price on a Tiger

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I don't understand why this car hasn't sold. It looks like an easy restoration project. Is there something I am not seeing?

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

That is a very low price and probably a good sign of the current times. Bear in mind that you could easily sink another $10,000 in getting it looking good. Even US$25,000 is still cheap.

Regards, Robin.

Sownman

Donation Time
Hi,

That is a very low price and probably a good sign of the current times. Bear in mind that you could easily sink another $10,000 in getting it looking good. Even US$25,000 is still cheap.

Regards, Robin.

I doubt $10K would cover a proper paint job that includes the under hood. Once the drive train is pulled it should certainly all be rebuilt. Car must leak badly judging by all the cardboard on the garage floor. Then there is the fact that not a single surface of the interior is acceptable.

howard

Donation Time
Sink 25k into this car and you've got a very valuable car. Put 25k in my car... you've got a $7500.00 car. I'd love to restore a Tiger. Just too rich for my blood.

64beam

Donation Time
I doubt $10K would cover a proper paint job that includes the under hood. Once the drive train is pulled it should certainly all be rebuilt. Car must leak badly judging by all the cardboard on the garage floor. Then there is the fact that not a single surface of the interior is acceptable.

Hi,

I agree completely. I probably should have added that $10,000 would not even cover the drive train restoration. If the new owner has the expertise in restorations, you can cut alot of the labour costs.

Regards, Robin.

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
$10,000 for a paint job? When my Alpine's done it's going to Earl Scheib for a paint job that'll make it presentable enough to drive. When (and if) I get more money, it'll go to a better place. I've had E. S. paint jobs on a couple of trucks, and they looked just fine. I'm not a purist, mind. I can't see putting a fortune into paint. How much did an Alpine originally cost to paint, anyway? Besides, I had a three year old Tiger in 1968, and its paint job was nothing special. Anything that E. S. messes up can always be fixed later.

64beam

Donation Time
$10,000 for a paint job? When my Alpine's done it's going to Earl Scheib for a paint job that'll make it presentable enough to drive. When (and if) I get more money, it'll go to a better place. I've had E. S. paint jobs on a couple of trucks, and they looked just fine. I'm not a purist, mind. I can't see putting a fortune into paint. How much did an Alpine originally cost to paint, anyway? Besides, I had a three year old Tiger in 1968, and its paint job was nothing special. Anything that E. S. messes up can always be fixed later.

Hi,

I think the $10,000 on a paint job is more of a broad term. By the time you get the body work all prepared and painted and do the trimming, you would not have much left over.Especially if the engine/drivetrain needs attention. As you stated, if you are not worried as much about the presentation I think that money is reasonable.

Regards, Robin.