• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Got the seats redone

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
My seats (all four of the them) looked pretty good but in reality were in very bad shape. Was able to make up two good ones. Tricky though, the right and left hand seats are not interchangeable. Sand blasted and painted them. Replaced the diaphragms with webbing. Also put some webbing on the seat backs for some extra support. Collected a set of covers, the best set of foam cushions (the bottoms were pretty much disintegrated), the frames and took it to a local upholstery shop.

Told the guy I needed a set of headrests, new foam cushions and recovered with cloth inserts. I hate setting on plastic or leather seats. He said no problem. Gave me some headrests he had laying under a bench. They were out of a full size Chevy pickup and look like they were designed for the Alpine seat. He made the adapters to fasten them on the seat back.

Just picked up the seats. They look great, all new material, total cost $400. I think that is a very reasonable price. Foam cushions alone would have cost $100 per seat from the Alpine suppliers.

So, anyone thinking of redoing their seats, check out auto upholstery shops. You might find it isn't worth your while to do it yourself. I did.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Sounds great. Will we have to wait until next year's Invasion to see them, or can you post a picture?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sounds great. Will we have to wait until next year's Invasion to see them, or can you post a picture?

No I can't. I've got everything but the knowhow. I am what you would call "Computer stupid". Used to be able to, but that was two computer platforms ago. Maybe after Christmas I will find someone that can.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I offered to post Bill's photos for him. Here's what he wrote me about the photos:

Here are 3 pics. The pretty rust colored seat is the same seat as the
black one, taken under incandescent light. I'm including it because
even though it is slightly blurry, gives better detail of the seat. The
black seat is taken with flash and is a true color rendition. The
blurry pic is of the seat with webbing and headrest attached, ready to
return to the upholstery shop. Sorry, can't retake it, but I think it
will show what was done to the frame.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I always think DIY first and only turn to professionals when I am stumped. I don't think I could have done the seats for the same price and I am sure they wouldn't have turned out as well!

Attachments

• bill1a.jpg
    bill1a.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 59
  • bill1c.jpg
    bill1c.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 49
  • bill1b.jpg
    bill1b.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 48

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Just picked up the seats. They look great, all new material, total cost $400. I think that is a very reasonable price. Foam cushions alone would have cost $100 per seat from the Alpine suppliers.

So, anyone thinking of redoing their seats, check out auto upholstery shops. You might find it isn't worth your while to do it yourself. I did.

Bill

Hi Bill and all:

A couple of years ago I made a similar decision when redoing the seats for my Series IV automatic. I didn't have the skill, materials or equipment to do the job. All I had was a set of frames. A local auto upholstery shop provided all the materials. They did a beautiful job restoring the seats. I chose to use cloth rather than leather or vinyl. My cost was $300.

Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas to all

J

jannie

seats

Hi Bill and all:

A couple of years ago I made a similar decision when redoing the seats for my Series IV automatic. I didn't have the skill, materials or equipment to do the job. All I had was a set of frames. A local auto upholstery shop provided all the materials. They did a beautiful job restoring the seats. I chose to use cloth rather than leather or vinyl. My cost was $300.

Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas to all

Hi guys, I am new and stumbled upon this website.
I am in the process too of getting my bonnet lagging, carpets ,seats and boot re-done - around R2000 here in S/Africa.
I have a 1960 Sunbeam Rapier, yellow and white.
My 1st car was a Hillman Minx 1960 . Could not kill it although i tried -
Saw a Rapier and fell in love...Now i have one, 30 years later.
Special vehicles Rootes...
Regards.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi guys, I am new and stumbled upon this website.
I am in the process too of getting my bonnet lagging, carpets ,seats and boot re-done - around R2000 here in S/Africa.
I have a 1960 Sunbeam Rapier, yellow and white.
My 1st car was a Hillman Minx 1960 . Could not kill it although i tried -
Saw a Rapier and fell in love...Now i have one, 30 years later.
Special vehicles Rootes...
Regards.

jannie,

Welcome to the forum.

It is always good to other models represented.