• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

got hub puller what's next

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Howdy Folks,
I've borrowed a hub puller from another member, but to be honest I'm not really sure how to use it. George, Stephen,? Any one else that may have used George Coleman's hub remover.
Thanks, Tom j

I tried the search but no matter how it was worded the search was too short :(

Last edited:

sd_pace

Donation Time
you need to bring it with you this weekend and we can pull my old hubs, before we set the motor

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
oh, ok, I don't want to use a lot of time when we're supposed to be working on your car.
what are you doing on this forum when you're suppose to be working ? :)

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I tried the search but no matter how it was worded the search was too short :(

Tom,

The easiest way to search the forum is to use Google and specify the site you want to search. An example search term is below.

site:sunbeamalpine.org hub puller

Mike

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tom,

Send me a PM and we can sort a time that we can talk this weekend. I'll be happy to give you some tech tips.

Ta, Mark ..... volvoguys

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for the offer Mark, I'm heading to Steve's tomorrow and he's used the puller a few times, so I'll take a rain check since I'm sure I'll need help in the future.
Tom j

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
So who has the puller at this point? Anyway please post it out on the forum and let it become a community tool for loan! lets keep track of it and it should last a long time :D:cool:

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
I am hijacking this tread for some info that should go along with the Hub Puller, so please forward this with the puller when you loan it out. Thanks!

USAGE
To remove the hub:
1) Remove split pins and loosen axles shaft nut with road wheel on the ground, If wheels prevent applying a good sized wrench to the nut, use the original steel wheel and tire on to hold the wheel against wrench torque. Reverse axle shaft nut so smooth end is flush with axle shaft end.
2) Remove brake drum per Factory Manual discussion (available on TigersUnited site).
3) Attach inner studded ring to hub with wheel nuts. Torque to 40 ft.-lb.
4) Slide outer plate over ring studs and attach with hardened washers and nuts.
5) Tighten ring stud nuts in crisscross sequence in stages to 40 ft.-lb. Use a wrench to hold center welded nut to prevent hub puller from turning as tightening stud nuts.
6) Repeat step five in 10 ft.-lb. increments until hub releases, or 60 ft.-lb. limit is reached. (I have yet to need more than 50).
7) If torque limit is reached without hub release, take a break and expect release under tension at any time.
8) In the event that the preceding steps do not release the hub, additional persuasion may be required, such as a mild tap with a hammer [on the inserted central bolt bottomed on the welded hex nut]. Use good judgement on the amount of force used to hit this fixture to limit damage to the axle threads, or internal axle components.
Axle shaft removal entails the use of a slide hammer on the welded nut after the hub is loosened and the axle shaft retaining bolts are removed
(This is a reprint of a CAT article from Mr. Dan Walters)

This hub remover is a near reproduction of the one in a CAT publication. This one is for non wire wheels only!

Last edited:

90days

Donation Time
Hub Puller

I can use the Hub Puller; I would like to make arrangements to borrow the Hub Puller to pull the hubs off my series V. Please send me a PM. Thanks Tony

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
This puller will be at the Furman car show, it's spoken for but perhaps a solution could be made.
Tom j

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
SS loans out a hub puller. I've used it. Works great. All you have to do is pay for the shipping. The only catch is (or request rather) is that Rick would like it back "pronto" as others are waiting to use it.
So if you borrow it, be ready to pull when it gets there and get it back in the mail.

Be polite and right!

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi,

The link below should take you to a video that we made of using the hub puller to change the seals on a Series IV. It is on You Tube under 'Sunbeam Alpine Hub Seal Replacement'. We claim no expertise and there may be better ways to do this but this is our way.

If you would like the sequential instructions of what we did please feel free to E Mail me. TIM_RAYMOND@sky.com

Note that the bearing and seals are different for Series V.

Best Wishes,

Tim R

https://youtu.be/R-9zW7HSww4