• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Good news - bad news

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Good news-We made it over 400 miles through some nasty weather. Bad news-my new windshield gasket still leaks and the top obviously still has all of its holes, we got a little wet.

Bad news-we lost a wiper when the rain hit, good news - it was the passenger side wiper so we kept going.

Good news-we found a great place to stay, The Sherman House Inn in Batesville, IN. I think we are very close to the Blue's house. Had a great German style dinner and are now warm and dry, and enjoying some wine and beer.

Really bad news-having major clutch issues. When trying to declutch there is a very nasty sound and the clutch will not disengage so we can get in gear. The hydraulics had been getting weaker, and I would have to pump the pedal sometimes, but now it's making very bad noises. Throwout bearing maybe? I am not sure if we can get going again in the morning. If we can make it another 175 miles or so we would be in AAA towing range of home. Once we're moving and don't have to stop it seems fine but getting back to the Interstate might not be possible.

Good news-Invasion X was awesome. We met some great new Sunbeamers and happily caught up with some old friends. The organizers did a wonderful job, thanks a ton!

Attachments

• white knuckles.jpg
    white knuckles.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 39

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Batesville? Perhaps 35-40 miles away. Close enough my insurance agent lives there and commutes to Connersville. My cell # is (765) 309-3567. Call if I can be any help.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes. Expecting a call tomorrow from Brad to meet him so I can pick up my hard top, but that can be cancelled if you are having problems.

Bill

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Yes. Expecting a call tomorrow from Brad to meet him so I can pick up my hard top, but that can be cancelled if you are having problems.

Bill

Thanks, will call around 10 AM either way: on the road or in trouble...

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I had a problem like that in a Pinto. One of the disk springs fell out into the pressure plate and couldn't push the clutch in. Of course I didn't know that until I pulled the trans for the second time. I drove it by shutting off the engine when stopped, putting it in 1st, then starting it to go. Then shift without the clutch. Repeat as required. But that still doesn't beat Mike for hard luck story.;)

Hope you get home OK.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Years ago I had one where the carbon insert in the throwout, that's what actually presses on the pressure plate assembly, broke up and caused similiar problems. If you're sure when you pump it up that you're getting sufficient travel of the slave and rod to engage the clutch that is a good candidate. Not to say that the pressure plate or clutch plate may not have failed, I've just never had that happen in may miles over 35 years.

If I was in your shoes I'd consider a complete fresh clutch and rebuild both the master and slave cylinders so that the whole thing is new. And since the transmission has to be out, perhaps have someone pull the cover off and take a look to see if there's any preventitive maintenance that should be done to it.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Do we forfeit the long distance award?

Well we made it home... we decided to get some assistance to get the Alpine home. After thinking about it and worrying that we may have more issues that might do major damage, we decided to get a UHaul cube van/tow dolly set up and tow the Alpine home. Fortunately, we were close to Bill and he graciously came down and drove us to pick up the UHaul.

Bill listened to the Alpine and also thinks it is probably the throwout bearing, however I was worried it might be the crank thrust washers and there is noticeable play at the pulley when pressing the clutch. The thrust washer wear may have been there the whole time, and the issue may be entirely the throwout, but we decided to play it safe. Plus the thought of getting through Chicago with no clutch was daunting.

So we ended up driving only 400 miles of the 690 home, I hope we don't have to return the long distance award we won at the Invasion.

In time, although I don't now when, I will pull the engine and transmission to have a look and go from there; report to follow of course. We definitely need to have it ready for Invasion XI in Minneapolis!

Ann Marie and I would like to give a huge thanks to Bill Blue for taking the time to come get us, drive us to the UHaul, and provide advice and moral support, much appreciated Bill!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Glad to see you made it. Barb will be glad to hear the good news. I was able to pick up the hardtop from Brad and Michel, so things worked out perfectly for me.

Bill