• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Good Clutch, Better Clutch?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
After months of trying and several purchases that were cancelled, I now find myself with two Mustang II clutch kits. That isn't a problem given the apparent difficulty in finding them; having a spare on hand seems like a good idea. However, I'm trying to figure out if one is likely to be better than the other.

The first came from NAPA. They'd tried several times to find me one, then this one just popped on their screen from Wisconsin. Based on the condition of the box, I'd say it has been bought and returned several times. It looks fine and fits the flywheel perfectly. By "perfectly" I mean the holes in the pressure plate line up and there are no extra holes. The pressure plate says what looks like "VelLoc Gold" on it, but there are some marketing materials inside the box from Perfection Clutch. I paid about $210 for the complete kit.

I found the second one on eBay. It also fits, although there are some extra holes on the pressure plate, meaning it might also fit other cars. The pressure plate says "Valeo" and it was advertised as being a Stage 1 kit. The only other obvious difference I can see is that the eBay throw-out bearing is all steel, while the NAPA one has a plastic housing. This one only cost me $145 delivered.

Both kits are complete, meaning they also have alignment tools and pilot bushings. Are there any obvious signs that one is better made than the other? If I can get a second one from the eBay seller, should I return the NAPA one and pocket the $65? I am sure I can find a way to re-invest that in the car!

Thanks,

Jim

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

Since you aren't going to race your Alpine, either clutch will work fine. I don't know anything about the ebay clutch kit, but if you have any doubts, I would go with the NAPA unit.

Jose

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
NAPA Clutch

Hi Jim,

Since you aren't going to race your Alpine, either clutch will work fine. I don't know anything about the ebay clutch kit, but if you have any doubts, I would go with the NAPA unit.

Jose

I got mine from NAPA also but the throw out bearing was not correct. I had to track down the one Manyfords recommended and it worked fine. Preassemble the trans, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch to the engine, make sure the clutch lever moves smoothly and has play. Save you from pulling everything apart to correct it. I'll check my receipts to see if I can find the one with the t/o bearing I used.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I would not be afraid of the Valeo clutch. They are little known, but a big OEM supplier and I think they know their business. I put one on my son's V6 Tempo 2 1/2 years ago and its done fine. He's not the hardest on clutch's, but he IS twenty years old. The only way to know which one is best is too put a couple hundred thousand miles on each of them.

If I had that much trouble to get these, I think I would save the extra one. Might be very hard to find one in 10 years. Put the expensive one on first, then you won't have so much tied up in spare parts!

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks, everyone. I will keep them both and install the Napa one with the eBay throwout. That should cover me for quite a while!

And, Terry: yes, I got it from Clutchzone in Costa Mesa. I didn't want to say anything until I knew it was ok, but their eBay store now says they have 50 of them! (it said 3 when I bought mine). The clutch has a Buy it Now price of $155 (which includes shipping). Since they also had a "Best Offer" link, I clicked it and offered $135, just to see what happened. They countered with $145 and we had a deal! I would have made them an offer for 2 if I'd known that it was good, but maybe next time. It took them a week or so to ship it, but it arrived safe and sound yesterday.

Good luck.

TerryB

Donation Time
clutch

Thats good to know. I submitted a low offer a month ago and I wanted to pick it up but was turned down, (no counter offer) now I think I will submit a serious offer for one. Next to find the donor engine.