• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Go fast rear end gears

the ghoul

Donation Time
Im building a peppy sunbeam that will not be seeing highway speeds (55 mph and under mostly).
I have decided that I will be rebuilding the sV rear end so I am looking for as high of a ratio ring and pinion or full 3rd member if need be. I believe 4.22 was the highest ratio offered in the alpines?

alpine_64

Donation Time
4.22 was the highest ratio in the alpine.. but... there were lower ratios available in the rootes range that can swap in. Even better.. often these appear NOS unlike the alpine ratios as they were not popular for anything other than commercial vehicles.. there are 4.55, 4.9 and 5.33 IIRC. Search for hillman husky or hillman/sunbeam minx rear ends.

the ghoul

Donation Time
4.22 was the highest ratio in the alpine.. but... there were lower ratios available in the rootes range that can swap in. Even better.. often these appear NOS unlike the alpine ratios as they were not popular for anything other than commercial vehicles.. there are 4.55, 4.9 and 5.33 IIRC. Search for hillman husky or hillman/sunbeam minx rear ends.

Are they a direct swap or will I need the whole 3rd member? I would love to get a 4.9 or 5.33

alpine_64

Donation Time
Are they a direct swap or will I need the whole 3rd member? I would love to get a 4.9 or 5.33

The late model husky and minx wagon stuff should be a straight swap... I personally would not run these.. 1st gear would be nigh on useless.. without O/D the car would be unpleasant at even 60 mph... which would be about top whack for an Alpine with such gearing.. unless you are a going to hillclimb it.. id say 4.22 is as short as you would want to go.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
4.44 was available as a race option for the series alpine race cars and IIRC 4.78 was the highest numerical ratio available for the hypoid axles.
The spiral bevel axle was available to 5.72 but these will take their own carrier (case) and early splined axles.

I ran a spiral bevel 4.55 for a number of years.

Great for acceleration but without OD you wont go much over 60.