• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Glove box surround ?

jerseyjoe

Donation Time
Does anyone know where to get a glove box surround for a Series iv with a wood dash? I looked in the SS catalog but I do not see it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
JerseyJoe

alpine_64

Donation Time
The GT dash ( wooden) for series 3-IV didnt use a surround. The SV did as it was veneered onto a stock plastic dash.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
If you mean the bakelite trim piece that goes around the outside of the glovebox and stands proud of the dashboard getting an original is difficult. They are very rare to find, reproductions are not good and are just in a normal cheap black plastic.

You need to find someone who has an old original one that they are prepared to sell. I have a Right Hand Drive one but I doubt that this will be much use to you!

Tim R

P1050909.jpgP1050906.jpg

ALC 68A

Donation Time
If you have the S3/SIV GT type wooden dash, which is veneered on to a thick piece of plywood, the glovebox opening does not have any sort of surround (except a small piece of padding to form a hand grip). As alpine_64 says above, it is only the SV GT, where the veneer is glued to a much thinner plastic backing, that has a surround. I think it is the same moulding that was fitted to SI/SII and the sports versions of S3/SIV and SV. However, they are brittle and break readily, so good ones are not easy to find.

65beam

Donation Time
The GT dash ( wooden) for series 3-IV didnt use a surround. The SV did as it was veneered onto a stock plastic dash.
There were no LHD series 5 GT's sold in the states. They were all black dash ST's. The series 4 was the last wood dash sold here.

65beam

Donation Time
The wood dash for either series 3 or 4 could be used on the series 5. It could have been ordered from a dealer but they're not listed in the brochures and the parts book doesn't list which dash has the wood grain finish There was a series 5 GT outside the states and I believe Michael said earlier, it was a plastic dash with what appears to be veneer but I would say it's possible the wood grain finish is plastic or formica. I have a RHD wood grain plastic dash hanging in the shop but It won't sand like wood. I'll charge the camera battery and try to remember to take a photo of it. I need to pull out my old Auto World catalogs and see if they had them for sale thru Amco and others.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
If you can find an unbroken old bakelite piece (I may have one), don't worry about the appearance - a coat of black satin paint will make it look better than new.
TR