• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Girling Mk2a Servo End Plate

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Howdy Guys,

I'm after the plate fitted to the end of the vac. housing (secured by the 7 machine screws and square nuts) on a 5.5 inch Girling Mk2a servo. Mine is too badly pitted to re finish, if anyone has a tidy item please let me know.

Thanks, Lance.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hmm. Isn't that servo chamber supposed to be painted black? If so, then even if it's pitted it's salvageable... just fill the pits as you would any bodywork (using body filler or red glaze) and then paint to suit!

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Thanks Kevin,

It's only the plate on the end of the chamber I need and I believe these were always plated/anodised with a silver finish similar to other items under the bonnet.

The servo I am repairing was not fitted to my car originally so I have no idea how the plate ended up so rusty, unless it came off a UK delivered car at some point?

Cheers, Lance.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Funny, I never saw them anodised or plated... always black. But I'll take your word for it.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Kevin is correct - the plate should be gloss black. As long as the rust has not perforated the metal, it should be possible to fill any pitting.

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Hmmmm, seems like we now have a job for "SUPER ORIGINALITY MAN", I just wish I had his contact details!

The photo of the NOS servo shows how they usually look after a few years of "patination". Thats how I've usually observed them anyway. I have seen the units painted black all over but just assumed this happened after they had been reconditioned by a company that subscribed to the "paint it black and send it back" theory.

Is it possible then that the amount of paint on the servo was determined by it having been fitted on the assembly line, or at some point later as a exchange unit? There was discussion on this subject recently about oil filter bases in the Originality forum.

Lance.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Having broken (parted) dozens of late production Alpines &Tigers I find they are consistently medium gloss black.

Mark ..... volvoguys

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
My 1964, Series IV brake booster, had a non painted end cap. I don´t think I have seen a painted end cap.

Jose

65beam

Donation Time
servo plate

we recently parted out a very rusty ,very low milage series 5 and it was original down to the light bulbs. the entire booster was black. several of us discussed this subject this weekend and we agree that all we have ever seen have been painted.

Rootes 66

Donation Time
From the Rootes Quality Accessiries brochure of 1968, That Began, Power Brakes, "Not only ideal for lady drivers".......

Attachments

• servo.jpg
    servo.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 20

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hmm. I'm thinking that factory-installed (i.e. "original") units may all indeed have been black, but that replacement units, or ones added as 'optional accessories', may have been plated. Is this a possible explanation for the pattern of units we've seen so far?

My thinking is that perhaps those original factory production line servos were purchased from Girling in large bulk shipments, and that a deal may have been struck to purchase them cheaper by ordering them simply painted all black instead of plated? After all, if by avoiding the cost of plating they could get Girling to cut them a break of £1 or £2 per unit, that could add up to some serious and much-needed pounds, for what we now know to have been a factory struggling badly to make a profit.

Whereas ones for resale (i.e. 'accessories') may have been 'standard issue' plated Girling units, ordered in limited numbers as needed by Rootes for spares stocks (i.e. not 'bulk shipped'), and which were normally only offered by Girling in plated format to improve their appearance/shelf appeal?

I know for a fact that the ones I've pulled from original cars and have rebuilt in the past have never had plated end plates... indeed, I usually pop them into my blast cabinet and dust off the old paint and rust before repainting them, and there's never been a hint of cadmium or any other plating on any of them. So I know at least all the ones I've seen have never been plated, and I'm pretty sure they were all factory-installed units.