• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Getting To The "Rootes" Of The Matter...

MidcenturyMillennial

Donation Time
Obliged t'ye for the kind words, Jim! I hope the new owner makes as much good use of this august body of experts as I did this Summer.

*Ten spent, and One-and-a-half back. Nice, ironic return on investment, eh? :p
Oh well, we all have to take a bath sometime. Might as well be clean for the Christmas Season!

alpine_64

Donation Time
Obliged t'ye for the kind words, Jim! I hope the new owner makes as much good use of this august body of experts as I did this Summer.

Oh well, we all have to take a bath sometime. Might as well be clean for the Christmas Season!

FWIW your honesty in the listing was admirable.

It's unfortunate you took the bath, but I guess a lesson well learner for future purchases to be more research than instinct.

The car would have probably returned a lot more as parts than the eventual sale price....but I'd rather see someone save it despite it being a significant project ...worse starting points have come back to life ..and it's more likely to make it if the initial outlay is lower.

Sorry your toe into the sunbeam world touched icy water.... But....they are waters worth swinging in... Just need to find the right car for you.

alpine_64

Donation Time

It's unfortunate you took the bath, but I guess a lesson well learner for future purchases to be more research than instinct.

The car would have probably returned a lot more as parts than the eventual sale price....but I'd rather see someone save it despite it being a significant project ...worse starting points have come back to life ..and it's more likely to make it if the initial outlay is lower.

Sorry your toe into the sunbeam world touched icy water.... But....they are waters worth swinging in... Just need to find the right car for you.

MidcenturyMillennial

Donation Time

You're a good-'un, Mike! Thanks for the support.
Once my finances (and my pride) recover, the hunt will begin again! ;)

MidcenturyMillennial

Donation Time
Well folks, after making the trip from Iowa to California and back again (that we know of), the Frankenbeam is California-bound once more, aboard a custom trailer made (and signed!) by Peter Brock of all people, and which is usually meant for hauling around a Ford GT40!
"Whoa!" I said, in a moment of unusual quick wit. "You guys really ARE from California!"

Attachments

• 20231218_161030.jpg
    20231218_161030.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
  • 20231218_161044.jpg
    20231218_161044.jpg
    979.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20231218_163947.jpg
    20231218_163947.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • 20231218_164115.jpg
    20231218_164115.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • 20231218_164236.jpg
    20231218_164236.jpg
    936.3 KB · Views: 32

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Aerovault trailers - Peter advertises in a lot of the car mags. Really nice trailers from what I have heard, but pricey!

ddwelley

Donation Time
So I'm Dave, the guy with the fancy trailer... and now a Frankenbeam ("Frankie")! She is back in California and up on a lift so I can figure out what she's made of. It appears that the body is in OK shape and not too rusty, but everything mechanical is worn out. The motor does run one carb bowl at a time - there are two fuel pumps installed and neither one works. It also appears to be assembled with a random assortment of wires and fasteners - this car was apart at least once and someone unfamiliar with Sunbeams put it back together.

Thanks for all the wisdom this group has already offered - I'll surely be back looking for more in a new thread.

BTW, the Aerovault will never pencil out financially, but it tows oh-so-nice over the Rockies.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Welcome aboard, Dave! This car has certainly had quite a ride over the past few months. We're looking forward to helping you get it back on the road!

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I see that you are in Santa Barbara. I can only think of one or two Sunbeam types there. But there's a lot of us in the LA area and surrounding areas.
Cheers and welcome.