• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

George Lacy of Miami's race car

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
The other day I looked at a very early Series II, which was George Lacy's old racecar. George had been a Navy Pilot and worked for Eastern Airlines. He was an avid sports car enthusiast that started off with an MGTD, getting his competition lic. in April of 1958, and then racing an MGA. The Sunbeam, an early Series II, would have been really desirable since it would have been one of the first on the track with a 1592cc motor... versus the 1492's of the Series I's.

It was a nice car though it had been sitting in a garage since the early 80's.
I thought it was very interesting some of the items with the car.

First, I loved the original Rootes box of "suspension tuning kit". That was the first box I had ever seen. The parts in it look used because they were once on the car and when it was returned to street use they were removed.

I also want to point out how stock these racecars really were. The only clues that this car was ever raced, which it was frequently in the Southeast, is the upper engine mount and the throttle bracket reinforcement. Oh and the belts were the old aircraft style. Otherwise the car looks very stock.

Hopefully it will see the light of day and if lucky perhaps somebody will symapathetically restore it for racing in perhaps a preservation group like the VSCCA offers (near stock - race it with the windsheild + bumpers on - essentially like racing was in the very early 60's late 50's)

Steve

Attachments

• P1080093.jpg
    P1080093.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 45
  • P1080094.jpg
    P1080094.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 71
  • P1080069.jpg
    P1080069.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 61
  • P1080070.jpg
    P1080070.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 62

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Is it for sale?

That, actually is what I have been considering, running a car to the comp tune specs in Vintage.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I believe it may be. However, the owner is very attached to this car since it was her father's car. If I hear more I will let you know. I will also pass the information along.

However, just remember, this is one you would drive to the race... tape off the lights. run your event and drive home. It isn't one that you'd want to do up to run with a group where significant modifications would be made for the sake of being competitive. (If I had it I would have ATL build a bladder for the tank - skip the BIG red cell in the trunk - it would ruin it) Outwardly, it is a bone stock SII. (Back in the early 60's when this ran you could do that!)

It really is a special just the way it is.

Steve

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
Well... I've secured a deal and purchased this car! I'm looking forward to putting it on the track and getting it back to the way it was when George raced it.

After talking to the owner I've learned that she has pictures of it when it was raced. It appears to have run with a small windscreen and steel wheels. It was campaigned under the number 55 in red letters.

I'm planning to have this one all cleaned up and on display at the Invasion this year. My goal is to get on the track with it for the 2009 season.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

That is great to hear. It is commendable that you are keeping the car as George Lacy would have as it would have been difficult for the family to see it sold with its sentimental value.

Regards, Robin.

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
Went and picked up the Lacy car this weekend. Thanks to Steve Silverstein, Dave Kellogg and Bill Maniscalco for all the help. It was a long drive but worth it and I'm happy to have the car.

It will need a loving restoration, but not a complete teardown. I'll see if I can get it running next weekend, good news is that the engine turns over.

The car has had the Rootes Special Accessory competition parts book thrown at it. I have all the original parts in the Rootes boxes... pretty cool. I'll get pics of this stuf soon.

Now for the really good news. I got a box of 8mm film that has color footage of the 1961 Sebring 12-hour endurance race. This film clearly focuses on the 3 factory cars and shows them at speed making laps and stuff. Really good pictures too. There is also a shot of the Theodoli car in there. Way cool!

This will be a really fun car!

Attachments

• lacy_loaded.jpg
    lacy_loaded.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 39