• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

generator to alternator conversion on S2

ralphy75

Donation Time
Hi all!

I am planning to exchange my series 2 from generator to alternator, with negative earth and a lucas ACR 15 or 16. Any suggestions on if and how it will work & fit?

Help is really appreciated!

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The largest issue is the headers, the stock alternator wont fit beneath the from tube.

Most people who do the alternator swap put in a one wire delco alternator, this is larger yet but simplifies the wiring for lack of a controller.

I have found some much smaller alternators that I will be playing with over winter that may well fit (these are about the same diameter as the generator), but I have not started this project yet.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I would just use the 1725 cast manifold. Its just the same design (2Ys into 1Y). You won't see any difference in power. The ACR is a good choice, but you need the 1725 alternator bracket. All that will bolt up, and its done.
Jan

Jim E

Donation Time
I like the Datsun alternater, nice small cheap and there arre instructions on how to do it. The SV alt brackets are often cracked so you want to look and take care of any issues with the bracket

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

I like the Datsun alternater, nice small cheap and there arre instructions on how to do it. The SV alt brackets are often cracked so you want to look and take care of any issues with the bracket

JIm,
What Datsun alternator, or from what year and model? Where can I get the instructions to put it in my Alpine. I have read many threads on here about using several other alternators, especially a Mitsubishi one built by Lucas. What we really need is a list of parts and instructions from someone that has done it, it works, and he is satisfied. Are you up to doing that?? I think a lot of people would be very happy if you did.
Lee

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

As stated in some of the previous posts, if you choose the Lucas 15 or 16 ACR you also need the separate regulator. If you have not already purchased the alternator, definitely consider an alternator which has the regulator built in (unless you want it to look more period correct with the lucas). With a two wire style alternator, wiring is so much easier. By memory, all I did was run a new wire from the starter solenoid (battery side) to the battery terminal of the alternator and the ignition warning light wire to its respective terminal of the alternator and away I went. I used the series V block bracket and re-worked the adjustment bracket. One tip when running the battery cable from the alternator, make sure the cable is large enough for the alternators current output. The other thing you will need to do is to join the cables going to 'A' and 'A1" on the control box. I did this a while ago, so hopefully I am correct. **Don't forget to replace the positive ground gauges also.

Hope this helps, Robin.

AlpineII

Donation Time
Lee,
I used that same article to install the Mitsubishi/Nissan alternator. Was not difficult to do, does eliminate some electrical parts (control box) and is very reliable and has more power than is really needed in these cars. I cut off one end of my Series II generator bracket, reversed the end and set it so it would fit the alternator and re-welded it together. Been runing it two years now without issues.

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

Lee,

Here's the write up, been done a while ago:

http://www.team.net/www/rootes/sunbeam/alpine/mk1-5/techtips/altconv.html

There's a couple errors, but you can fnd the Mitsubishi / Nissan alternator by searching for an Alt for one of the Nissan/ Datsun's referenced. But I found it at Advance Auto parts as P/N 14231.

I found I had to modify the SV bracket slightly, and the drawing shows the ammeter in the wrong place.

Tom

Tom, Where is the correct place for the ammeter?

Everyone else thanks a bunch.
Lee

64beam

Donation Time
Tom, Where is the correct place for the ammeter?

Everyone else thanks a bunch.
Lee

Hi Lee,

The drawing is only in very basic form, so does not give you the full picture. In the Rootes workshop manuals, it give a better diagram. The ammeter should be the first item after the battery (starter solenoid). Then from the ammeter to the alternator, ignition circuit, etc.

Regards, Robin.

serIIalpine

Donation Time
I got a 35 amp alternator which, unless you are running lot's of extra lights etc., should be sufficient.

It's tiny and has the right spacing to line up the pulley with everything correctly.

Alternator shops have a stock numbering system that should be consistent with all/most alternator and starter shops.

Here's the item #: 12138.

Mines been working fine for me for two years now and it bolted right up.

Eric

'62 SerII

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here's the item #: 12138

The item in question?

4270296.jpg

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Eric, you say this 12138 bolts right up and the pulleys line up? If so, that might be a better solution than the 14231 I used and have been recommending. Several posters in the past have indicated that the 14231 would also line up directly, but I found it not so. On the 14231, it fits the original bracket, but I had to redrill the bracket to move the whole assembly forward to line up the pulleys. I will visit a local auto parts place to compare the 12138 with the 14231.

But I cannot find the 12138 on line at Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts. It seems to be mainly used on industrial products like fork lifts. Prices seem to be near $200. One advantage of the 14231 is it is readily available at most auto parts places. I bought mine (re-man) for $50.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/ProductList.aspx?MfrPartNumber=14231

Eric, Kevin, have either of you found this 12138 at a local auto parts place?

Tom

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Eric, Did it bolt up correctly using your SII generator bracket, or did you use a SV alternator bracket?

Tom

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Eric, Kevin, have either of you found this 12138 at a local auto parts place?

Tom
Tom, I'm afraid I've not got one of these yet. I'm a luddite purist and still have a Lucas alternator on my Series V - though I did upgrade to a Jaguar unit (looks *exactly* the same) since it has a higher amp rating.

Jim E

Donation Time
Yeah it fits the bracket but the belt line up is not quite right think I drilled the bracket out and spaced the alternator forwad with a flat washer or two.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim, Which alternator and which bracket did you use?

I think your experience was same as mine, i.e using a SV bracket and a 14231 Alternator, it requires elengating the holes and moving the bracket fwd to get the pully lined up.

But Eric says he used a 12138 Alt and required no alterations. But I'm waiting to hear if he used a SV bracket or a SII generator bracket that allowed the 12138 to line up. Maybe the 12138 is the best solution for Alpines with Generator brackets (SI to SIV). Maybe the 12138 is the best soution for Alpines with Alternator brackets (SV). Or maybe the 14231 has the same mounting dimensions as the 12138, so either one fits using a Generator bracket. I'd like to clear this up since the replacement alternator issue is a common one on all Series Alpines.

Tom

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

Tom,
I'm like you. I would like to know exactly what alternator to buy. I bought a SV alternator bracket years ago for this, but have never founnd the right alternator to use. I haven't found an auto parts store here that is well enough equiped to try different ones. To order one, I would have to pay for it, or at least put down a deposit.
Lee