• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gearbox removal / carpet?

Acollin

Donation Time
1966 series V - stock set up-- non OD trans.

I just bought a carpet set as I have been working on interior stuff.

I have a gearbox leak --- that ( I would say) is not too bad yet( although you might not want me to park in your driveway). I am at the "take a drive, check the oil level" stage. I lose about a cup in 100 miles.

My question: should I do the seals before I install the carpet? Will I upset my carpet installation when I eventually getting around to replacing the gearbox seals?

Thanks all
Andrew
Sandy, Oregon

I still have a rounded corner hood/ bonnet for sale or trade for Series V parts.

Acollin

Donation Time
Come on guys-- I am certain that most of you gearbox seal replacers and gearbox repairers know the answer to my question.

A simple:
1) you will wreck much of your carpet work removing your gearbox
2) you will not wreck your carpet work removing your gearbox

will suffice.

Thanks again for any advice!!

Be well all
Andrew

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
The portion of the carpet that covers the tunnel is designed to be removed at any time to get to the transmission fill. There is the large round rubber plug that needs to be removed to check and add oil. You can install your carpet at any time with no fear of destroying it later.

Two is the answer.

Jim

mikephillips

Donation Time
When you remove the transmission from the car all you really need to do in the interior is pop the rubber boot loose and reach in with a screwdriver to removed the 4 screws holding the shifter in place. Then withdraw the shifter from the transmission remote. Nothing else needs to be done in an unaltered stock setup.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Yes, Mike is correct, you do not need to remove the carpet to remove the transmission. But probably to fill the transmission if you install it dry.
Good luck.
Jim