• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gear reductions starters for Alpine

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Has anyone researched the "Hi-Torque" brand starters to see if they would work on the Alpine? They have a lot of Lucas replacement starters including MG, Triumph.
http://www.enginecentre.com.au/no-frames/nf-starters.html
1206.gif

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
I know Andrew Zizzo (AutoX47) had tried to fit one to his Alpine when he did the rebuild.
As I recall it fouled the steering and he gave up.
Even if a guy ran 10/1, do you think it's needed?

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Two cents worth! I tried to use one on my Alpine 1725 motor, it would work if you turn the ring gear on the flywheel over so that the bevel on the teeth are faceing the opposite direction from stock! Note! the high torque starter for a Spitfire works on the Alpine 1725 motor.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Nick,
there are only so many starters and they wear out. The hardest part of rebuilding these cars is getting "quality" parts.

George Farrell

Donation Time
Guys,

Having had trouble with rebuilt stock starters, I got a gear-reduction starter from Victoria British when I was rebuilding my engine in 1999. It seemed to work great, giving instant starts and spinning the engine much faster than the stock unit. However by 2005 the were times the this starter would not turn the engine over. I switched back to a good rebuilt stock unit, until a clutch release bearing problem required pulling the drive train.

I then learned that the gear-reduction pinion did not fully engage the teeth on the ring gear. In fact it only contacted the front one third of them. All the teeth were showing a lot of wear (at the front) and several were totally missing their front one third, explaing why the engine would turnover fine soemtimes and other times I would have to rock the car in gear before the starter would work. And since the stock starter drive comes from behind, it worked fine.

That was my experience.

George

Nickodell

Donation Time
Jan: I actually was mystified at what benefit the reduction gear offers. I can understand it on a very high compression engine, such as a diesel of race-prepared I.C., but what does it do for a regular engine?

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
They are lighter. This Hi-Torque is about 9.0 lbs (even though the ALpine is light too at 10lbs). I recently purchased a New Delco PG260L series starter and it weighs 7.5lbs. At least these new starters don't have the annoying inertial engagement that pops out sometimes under drive. I hate that.

skywords

Donation Time
The aircraft industry has jump on board to the light weight starters and with great results. I remember installing one on a Steen Skybolt for a doctor and a wood prop. Afterwords I had to move the battery in front of the fire wall to get the CG correct, this required a cooling shround with blast tube for the battery because I not only moved it in front of the firewall but on the engine mount just behind the cylinders. It all added up to shorter takeoff rolls and better climb and more useful load.

In our cars it will be better exceleration, top speed, fuel economy and reduced tire/suspension wear. Every little bit helps. If I lost my gut I would really get some performance:D

alpine_64

Donation Time
There are guys here in AU using high torque Honda units. Not sure what model they are off, but if you are interested i can find out.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I was told years ago that the starter for a 1985-89 Isuzu Pick-up (model # 16878) would work, but I never made it to an Isuzu dealer to check one out.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
I was told years ago that the starter for a 1985-89 Isuzu Pick-up (model # 16878) would work, but I never made it to an Isuzu dealer to check one out.

IIRC, that was the starter that Andrew Zizzo tried and would not clear the steering (?) or maybe his exhaust. I think I remember a clocking issue.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
IIRC, that was the starter that Andrew Zizzo tried and would not clear the steering (?) or maybe his exhaust. I think I remember a clocking issue.

That is entirely possible. I believe that Sprites/Midgets used the same stock starter as the Alpines and current owners use the Isuzu one as an upgrade. That is probably the original source of the information. However, using the same stock starters would not guarantee that the same alternatives would fit.

Drnobeam

Donation Time
I bought my gear reduction starter from britishstarters.com. It has an adjustable housing that allowed me to position the starter for a perfect fit. So far it has been trouble free. All of the stock wiring can be retained or you can bypass the stock solinoid and switch only the solinoid that comes built into the starter.

http://hometown.aol.com/martingf/britishstarters.html

This picture was taken primarily to see the clutch slave, but the new starter snuck in there too.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Rick, SS has the boots, or had them, p/n AC50, little different than the worn ,torn one I replaced, but it works just fine..

Tom J

Drnobeam

Donation Time
Andy where did you find that boot for your slave rod and throwout arm?

I've had it so long I don't remember where I got it. When I bought my S2 in '85 I began buying parts, mostly from SS. I bought many NOS parts like this that were still available at the time.

Rick may still have them.