• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gauge readings

Van Bagley

Donation Time
My gauges read a bit high ( all recently rebuilt by Palo Alto Speedometer) I am told that there is a resister than should be replaced.
Are these available and is there such a thing. I have never noticed one.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
My gauges read a bit high ( all recently rebuilt by Palo Alto Speedometer) I am told that there is a resister than should be replaced.
Are these available and is there such a thing. I have never noticed one.
what gauges?
No resistor should be needed to make your properly functioning gauges to read correctly.
Fuel and Temp gauges for late cars requires a functioning instrument regulator and correct/functioning senders.
The instrument regulator often fails closed so it applies battery voltage to the gauges instead of 10v which will make them read off.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Maybe he's talking about a aftermarket thermistor for the temp sender gauge. Pretty common in Tiger world for cause of alleged hot running.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Maybe he's talking about a aftermarket thermistor for the temp sender gauge. Pretty common in Tiger world for cause of alleged hot running.
when he says (gauges), for me, the lowest common denominator is the regulator.
There is sufficient ambiguity in the question for many possible solutions.

Van Bagley

Donation Time
The two gauges that appear to read higher than they should be are the temp and the fuel
Oil pressure is dead on.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Ok here is the electrical impaired fix. Take a test light hook it up to the ground lay underneath the dashboard and look for a little metal oblong shape near the center of the dash board. As I recall there's three wires to it but there could be two. This is the power supply to the gauges If you hook up the test light by touching it onto that with the ignition on the light should blink the power supplied is not steady.
Now back to the thermistor.
Get the car to operating temperature go get a under $20 infrared gun and shoot the metal area surrounding your temperature sensor and then compare that to what it says on the gauge. Hopefully this will find your reading is probably on the high side. I have had gauges read 20° to 30°, hotter than reality. Even when I pick the hottest part of the motor back up against the firewall on and shoot it with the IR gun.
Rule no 1 KISS rule no 2 don't take rule no 1 personal ;)
Want to make it harder to understand? Add a volt ohm meter into the process with all its multiple settings and numbers...

My fix was to add resistors in line to the offending gauge in this case the temp sender.
Nearly every gas gauge sender in the cars that I have had have required a pull apart and thorough cleaning of the wires and contacts in the sending unit. Except for one car that was parked since 1977 in a nice dry garage with no gas in it.

Last edited:

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Sounds like a straightforward voltage regulator problem to me. Check that the VR is Earthed properly to the dashboard strut. As stated above you should see a steady 10v reading on the terminals.
Tim R

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
S III to SV use a Voltage Stabilizer to maintain 10 V to the Temp and Fuel gauges. See the article Mike Hartman linked. If the voltage stabilizer is an original type and not a modern solid state replacement the 10 V is maintained by a thermal element inside that turns the full battery voltage on /off about 2 times per second to achieve a 10 V average . So if the voltage you measure is "not steady" it seems the Voltage Stabilizer is working. If it's a modern solid state Stabilizer, it should be a steady 10 V.

I am disappointed to read that Palo Alto Speedometer was not able to provide this information.

Tom

Van Bagley

Donation Time
Great information. Thank you very much. PAS didn't mention a word about it but they did a great job of cleaning and painting the gauges. Also my tach and speedo a are dead on.