• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gasket Problems

coolcat

Donation Time
Hi Guys - I have some oem gaskets that have dried out some, that I would like to use. I don’t want to stretch them to fit as they may break. Any Ideas on how to soften them up, so they will return to their original shape? Thanks Ed

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yeah, agree - it really depends on the gasket composition - cork, paper, composite, etc.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Ed!
Here is the best thing to do. Place the gaskets back into the original Rootes box and then sell the whole thing to John Green. Use the proceeds to buy 6 sets of replacement gaskets............;-)

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'd *moisten* it with water (not wet!) and see if it relaxes a bit... if so, then moisten just a wee bit more and hold it down with weights until dry. But... if you are at all in doubt as to their utility after drying (shrinkage, etc.) then buy new ones - cheap insurance in the end.

65beam

Donation Time
ed,
eric suggestion sounds good to me . or just send them to me and i'll tell you what i decide after i use them . i soaked some paper gaskets with water and they still tore .just use a product from permatex called THE RIGHT STUFF . it works great .

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Ed,
Those old gaskets are toast. I buy high quality gasket material in bulk and make my own.
Jan