• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gas shoots out of Carburetor !

Spoo 2

Silver Level Sponsor
Does any one know why one of my carburetors shoots gas strait up when I start the engine ? thanks:confused:

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello,

Can you provide more information as to which series you have and where the fuel is spewing from? An issue I had as well as others on my series 5 with Strombergs is that a float in one carb was stuck down causing the fuel to exit via the vent hole. See attached photo. This was a matter of debris getting into the carb and clogging the inlet valve. This was before a rebuild, but I also had fuel coming out of the other carb after a rebuild, so dirt can get introduced. Sometimes a float may stick down after sitting in the down position (no fuel in the carbs). A light tap on the side of the card may free this up. In my case though, I dropped the fuel bowls and ensured there was no dirty fuel in there and that the fuel inlet valves operated freely.

Rick

Attachments

• P1030844r.jpg
    P1030844r.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 39

Spoo 2

Silver Level Sponsor
Gas shoots out of Carb

Right, sorry. Its a 1962 series 2. Twin Zenith carburettors, I believe. Gas comes shooting strait out of where the "strangler" (choke ) sits over. Like a fountain.
Thanks for your help

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Those are different than my Strombergs, but I still think it is related to a stuck/damaged float or dirt in the needle seating keeping the float from shutting off the flow of fuel into the fuel bowl. It has to go somewhere.

Rick

RootesRacer

Donation Time
As you suspect, the float/needle/seat is probably to blame.

The fuel is likely being forced out the air bleed/corrector jet.

Are you by any chance running an electric fuel pump? Without a regulator, that will do it.