• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fuel tank internal coatings

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Interesting. Good to know that it is possible, but based on your write-up, it still didn't do the trick. Right? Do you think it is a worthwhile starting point, or next time will you just go straight to the vinegar?

Based on feedback, I didn't let the electrolysis process run long enough. But I'm not hearing multiple folks confirm that electrolysis will remove paint. I'd want to do a paint removal test on some old part first.

I know vinegar will weaken the paint / paint to metal bond given time. If I ever do tanks again myself, I'd go straight to the vinegar, after starting with a de-greaser, such as Simple Green, or the POR-15 Cleaner Degreaser. I'd soak for the tank in vinegar for at least a week. If more soaking time is needed, just pour the vinegar back in and let it soak longer.

One of the nice things about using vinegar is that you can reuse it. I still have about 5 gallons of vinegar left from my fuel tanks project that I am slowly working through.

In my write-up, I mentioned I'd use the paint remover again. I'd probably try vinegar first and fall back to using the paint remover if vinegar didn't get the job done (after using the vinegar for at least a couple of weeks). The paint remover is pretty nasty stuff and I'd want to avoid using it if possible.

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Piece of re bar works the best for annode. I left the tanks on charger for more than a week or weeks. A correction should be added to my previous postings and say eventually. Most often the rust gets pushed off first and much can be also removed by alternating between the time tested shaken not stirred method with plenty of nuts bolts. The beauty of the method is no fumes or contact issues from epoxy acetone, acids, and it's cheap but it does give you those dreaded dish pan hands :)

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Nice thing about the rebar method is that you can pull the rebar, hit it with a drill-powered wire brush, and put it back into service de-rusting. (Or reinforcing concrete, for that matter...

I was fortunate to be able to grab some Red-Coated tanks from Tiger Auto on an exchange/handshake deal, (after not seeing Doug for almost 30 years) which was only one of the many great things about Tiger Auto... They're still holding up fine going on 18 years or so.