• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fuel Streaming from Carb

Airportbum

Bronze Level Sponsor
i have a 1963 series 2 with a 1725 and zenith carbs. There is a lot of fuel coming from the front carb through an engine side hole on the carb. It has an electric pump that is producing 5 psi. I purchased this car in June, have been driving it regularly as in a daily driver at least three days a week, started leaking 2 weeks ago.

Do I need to be looking at the carb or too much pressure from the electric pump or???

alpine_64

Donation Time
Are they Zenith down draft carbs or later Stomberg 150CD (zenith- stromberg)

3-4psi is all that should be needed.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Ok, they are the stromberg 150cd carbs, im not very familar with the stroms...but psi is a bit high, when did you last service them?

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Seem to remember reading that 2 psi is standard with Strombergs. 5 psi is way high.

In fact book spec is 1.5 to 2 psi if I recall. Nevertheless if it's just started flooding then there's a good chance the float level or float needle and seat are crying out for attention.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
In fact book spec is 1.5 to 2 psi if I recall. Nevertheless if it's just started flooding then there's a good chance the float level or float needle and seat are crying out for attention.
Sounds like too much pressure from the pump. Stromberg like about 2psi with any more and it overwhelms the float needle and forces excess out check the float needle for damage

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Go to an auto parts store and get an inexpensive fuel regulator and install it in the gas line before
the carbs. You can dial in exactly the correct fuel pressure needed and stop the fuel leak. Bet the
car will run even better if you do.
Cheers!
Steve

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Beamdream appears exactly right. Pressure too high plus float needle not shutting off properly. Had this once with a CD150 when one of the float axle legs broke away...

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
I second the suggestion that it could be both. You may ask why just one is doing it if it were the pressure alone being too high. That tells me you have a stuck float/needle. Sometimes you can tap the side of the carb to loosen, but thats only a short term solution. Probably crap in the hole where the needle valve seat is and the extra pressure not helping. I run 2 psi and have an inline filter in the engine compartment in addition to the screen in the Facet pump back near the fuel tank.

Here is what mine did:
RickP1030844r.jpg

Airportbum

Bronze Level Sponsor
that's what it looks like except more distance on the stream... I am looking at a mr gasket adjustable regulator for 36$. Is that about right or is there something better on the market specific to this car? If I take the carb off, will I have to sync it with the other when I reinstall?

Last edited:

RootesRooter

Donation Time
More distance?!? Yikes!

Once you get the regulator in, I'd check for worn float needles. With stock fuel pressure regained, look down each carb and see if fuel is spraying into the engine on acceleration (good) - or constantly flowing like a stream (bad needle).