• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fuel sending unit

msmoorenburg

Donation Time
Fuel sending unit Options

Well tonight i was addressing the fuel system on my miata/alpine conversion and i stumbled across this idea and wanted some opinions. Since the fuel sending units for alpine are a n/a option, I was looking for plan B. Below is the miata sending unit next to a alpine unit. you can see in both pics the stroke is almost the same and resistance appears to be close.(My Alpine sender is toast very sporadic in its readings).

The best part is the miata sender is available separately for a little over 100

Last edited:

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
You say the resistance is close? How close? It needs to go from about 10 Ohms at full to about 240 to 250 ohms at empty.

I'd first try cleaning the Alpine sender. The biggest problem is usually poor ground contact of the pivot pin as it goes thru the body.

See this discussion . It also include a photo of my Alpine sender. It looks to me like your sender arm is bent out of shape.

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15723

Tom

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I am just starting on my Miata/Alpine conversion on my Ser II, my fuel tank lays flat in the trunk so I am going to try using a Mazda in tank fuel pump/sending unit.

msmoorenburg

Donation Time
the specs i found

At the top = 3.0 +/- 0.6 Ohms [Full]
Down 1.77" = 15.8 +/- 0.6 Ohms
Down 1.73" = 32.5 +/- 0.7 Ohms
Down 1.97" = 64.2 +/- 1.5 Ohms
Down 2.44" = 110 +/- 2.5 Ohms [Empty]

gordonra

Donation Time
I bought a new sender from thegaugeguys.com when I got my new gauges.

The sender has the correct geometry but the flange is larger than stock. A cutoff wheel in a Dremel helped me trim it down to size. Afterward it fit like the original. I'd have to look to be sure if it is the correct resistance for a stock replacement though.

My stock unit had some of the nichrome wire separated and distorted as well as the float have full of what I presume to be gasoline.

Rich

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
At the top = 3.0 +/- 0.6 Ohms [Full]
Down 1.77" = 15.8 +/- 0.6 Ohms
Down 1.73" = 32.5 +/- 0.7 Ohms
Down 1.97" = 64.2 +/- 1.5 Ohms
Down 2.44" = 110 +/- 2.5 Ohms [Empty]

With this sender (I assume you are using SV tanks and gauges), you will read a bit over full when full, but will read about 1/3 full when empty.

Tom

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Fuel Sender

We've been using the Speed Hut gauges for years,( and the GPS speedo )setup.
We have just received their fuel sender it has no moving parts
just a single tube that you cut to length and re calibrate, this can be done one time after cutting looks like it will be a bit more work to install as it needs to be in the deepest part of the tank but the end result will be way better than the float design.
Speed Hut has great support for their stuff by the way!and their full gauge is programmable also!

Last edited:

bashby

Donation Time
I purchased a custom fuel sending unit for my SV from Joel at Centroid, that combined with my SpeedHut gauges works excellently.