• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fuel Pump Advice

DaisyPusher

Diamond Level Sponsor
Howdy, folks; I'm curious if anyone else has/has had this issue. Whenever I turn the key on my '63/2.8 the fuel pump makes a loud knocking sound for the first few seconds which leads me to believe it's a mechanical pump as opposed to an electronic pump. (I was an auto technician for a few years but I have not visually confirmed this.) Everything is fine except for the leaking aftermarket parking brake and possibly (hopefully) just a leaking oil pan gasket, which are separate issues. Just wondering if there is a better way. What fuel pumps are y'all running with a 2.8?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
if the carb fuel level drops between runs, a mechanical pump is going to have full strokes pumping fuel till the bowl is full, then the pump doesnt really do anything till some fuel is consumed (then it will quiet down)

DaisyPusher

Diamond Level Sponsor
if the carb fuel level drops between runs, a mechanical pump is going to have full strokes pumping fuel till the bowl is full, then the pump doesnt really do anything till some fuel is consumed (then it will quiet down)

So I'm guessing the sound is normal? It quiets down after about 2 seconds so I know it's filling up. I'm used to working with electronic pumps so it's a little new to me. I'm just wondering if I should upgrade to an electronic pump or leave it as-is.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Mech pumps make a gulping noise when they pump a large amount of fuel due to the back side of the diaphragms air displacement.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Whenever I turn the key on my '63/2.8 the fuel pump makes a loud knocking sound for the first few seconds...

DaisyPusher,

When you are turning the key, is this noise before or after the engine starter begins turning?

Just curious,

DaisyPusher

Diamond Level Sponsor
DaisyPusher,

When you are turning the key, is this noise before or after the engine starter begins turning?

Just curious,

I turn the key to ON, it chugs for a couple seconds, then I fire it up, so before I turn it over. Like I said, there's no problems; I'm just wondering if there's a better way

Last edited:

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I turn the key to ON, it chugs for a couple seconds, then I fire it up, so before I turn it over. Like I said, there's no problems; I'm just wondering if there's a better way

This must be an electric pump, not a mechanical. Electric pumps may also be a bit noisy till they hit pressure.

DaisyPusher

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've never looked at the pump so I'm sure it'll be obvious once I check out but I'll be sure to take a couple pictures.