• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

fuel cell

slippery_biscuit

Donation Time
It's been quite awhile since I've logged on... lots of changes here!

I am wondering if anyone has installed a fuel cell in their car, and what size and material was it?
I've looked at Summit (they have lots of 'em), but right now am thinking of welding up an aluminum one fitted, up where the spare tire holder used to be.
Maybe somebody could talk me out of it....

Thanks, Jeff

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jeff,

There are a few ways of doing them. I can see it being easier on a SI-II as you could add a bracket to the hole for the floor located tank. On a later series you can either put them in the boot.. or through the boot floor.. here are some examples:

1d30_12.JPG

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Jeff,

Depending on what you are doing - if racing - I would recommend the ATL or Fuel Safe. Well made, etc.

If you are using this on the street JAZ makes some inexpensive fuel cells that if you shop around you can get deals on. A 12 gallon will take up a good bit of room in a Series III-V trunk but you can simply mount it to the trunk floor. 8 gallon might be better for space but it limits your range.

One approach is to weld up aluminum "L" profile extrusion into a rectangular frame which mounts to the floor. The tank sits in the frame. Then two straps over the top of the tank. When bolting down the frame make sure you use large grade 8 washers on the underside of the car.

I will try and post some of the images of installations I have seen.

slippery_biscuit

Donation Time
Some nice looking installations there. They made me realize my not to specific inquiry. I won't be racing so will be using the inexpensive sort (Summit, JAZ, etc) or a custom Al fuel tank. If I calculated correctly, 30"x10"x10" will provide about 18 gal capacity. Feel free to validate that number. The installations shown provide fine examples for location and other fuel system components.

Up in the air is the fuel pump location. Possibly next year I would like to replace the Holly with EFI. In anticipation of that I would be looking at an internally located pump, regulated down for near term use with the Holly.

That leads to some questions regarding EFI on the 2.8 and I suspect many other considerations I'm not aware of. Perhaps there is an existing thread on this subject? I'll have a look tonight when I've a bit more time.

Thanks for the pics so far; they each have given me some points to contemplate.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I'd think it's also doable to keep the stock fuel tanks on elec fuel pump #1, and only need to add a smaller cell or tank to be activated off elec fuel pump #2.

I've seen some cool flick switches for "turning off" the first pump/tanks and "turning on" the second.....

Allan

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Some nice looking installations there. They made me realize my not to specific inquiry. I won't be racing so will be using the inexpensive sort (Summit, JAZ, etc) or a custom Al fuel tank. If I calculated correctly, 30"x10"x10" will provide about 18 gal capacity. Feel free to validate that number. The installations shown provide fine examples for location and other fuel system components.

Up in the air is the fuel pump location. Possibly next year I would like to replace the Holly with EFI. In anticipation of that I would be looking at an internally located pump, regulated down for near term use with the Holly.

That leads to some questions regarding EFI on the 2.8 and I suspect many other considerations I'm not aware of. Perhaps there is an existing thread on this subject? I'll have a look tonight when I've a bit more time.

Thanks for the pics so far; they each have given me some points to contemplate.

Definitely dont use an internal tank pump in a fuel cell.
OEMs do it for packaging, but its a design compromise and if you ever have a failure, the pump is where your gas is.

Something about a hot pump, with electrical wires having out in the gasoline kinda creeps me out.

slippery_biscuit

Donation Time
More good info. A strong point there on keeping the fuel pump dry. And the throttle body injection is an option I had not thought about. I read the article and I'm sure there is even more help available from the ranger site.

Question: The article states "The 1984-1987 Ford Cougar used Central Fuel Injection (CFI). This motor retained the traditional circular air cleaner but swapped out the carburetor for a throttle-body type injection system (1-bbl with 2 high-flow injectors). Output was now rated at 120 hp." Is there a way of knowing if this TBI set-up will support 200+ hp? It goes on to discuss cam, exhaust, and head upgrades... so maybe?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Is there a way of knowing if this TBI set-up will support 200+ hp? It goes on to discuss cam, exhaust, and head upgrades... so maybe?

It will not.

The rating on the injectors is limited to about 150HP.

Holley makes a replacement TBI unit (with larger injectors), and there is an adjustable fuel pressure regulator that can be used on the stock TBI itself to get you a bit higher potential.

Basically to make 200BHP, you will need 100lbs/hr or 2X 50 lbs injectors.
The stock injectors are about 36lbr/hr each.