• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

fuel cell info wanted

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Need to prep a Tiger for 400 serious (no fueling stop) miles...info to allanballard AT att DOT net appreciated

alpine_64

Donation Time
Allan,

Even a stock Tiger is gogin to do some drinking on a trip like that.. and given your Tiger seems to be quite stock can i assume you arenot wanting to make the modifications to fit a cell of a permanent nature?

You can get one of the cells that mounts to seat type brackets and put it in your boot.. but you will need a cube style to move it across from the battery.. also o room for spare and the false floor.

Check the ATL site

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Allan,

Even a stock Tiger is gogin to do some drinking on a trip like that.. and given your Tiger seems to be quite stock can i assume you arenot wanting to make the modifications to fit a cell of a permanent nature?

You can get one of the cells that mounts to seat type brackets and put it in your boot.. but you will need a cube style to move it across from the battery.. also o room for spare and the false floor.

Check the ATL site

Michael,

Just speculating but will do some homework. I'd like to have good shot of completing the local Fall rally without making a fuel stop, also for other regional rally's, so a permanent change would be considered.

ATL?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Allan,

I cant remember if it was on this board or one of the tiger ones.. but someone posted a few pics of a cell they had made, it mounted vertically where the speare would on a S3-V alpine, a spare was then molunted to the front of it, means you got a big tank.. mounted closer to the middle of the car for better weight distribution and could carry a spare (useful on a rally) maybe do a search for "fuel cell" in a few of the forums.. as oyu know i have an ATL cell in my boot floor.. but i cant carry a spare and my battery is relocated to the space vacated by the tanks in the rear wing.

65beam

Donation Time
fuel tank

allan,
tiger tom used a series 1 or 2 fuel tank and mounted it standing up on it's side in the manner of the regular fender tanks over the area where the spare tire well is. he has it tied in with his other tanks. almost doubles his fuel capacity.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Allan,

I found the pictures i was reffering to

the member "bashby" posted these:
http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13502&highlight=fuel+cell

attachment.php

attachment.php

cbroadbooks

Donation Time
Hmmmmm...

Okay, so I'm pretty new here. I inherited my dad's Tiger last year (in the long slow process of restoring it) and we just bought my wife an Alpine, so if (when) I say something stupid, I'll go ahead and apologize now. My Dad was the mechanic of the family. I watched only when he made me. I wish I had paid more attention, but...

If it were me, one idea is to use a couple of 5 gallon cans, tie them in together, then tie into the cross over piece between the two gas tanks. I'd get an extra metal cross over piece and make my modifications to that piece and install it in lieu of the original. That piece is lower than the trunk floor, so provided the connecting line is full of gas, the level of gas in the cans would be equal to the level of gas in the tanks.

The other idea: go to the junk yard and buy a used gas tank with the electronic fuel pump on top. I know the '95 Dodge Ram has this set up. Temporarily mount (ratchet straps) that tank in your trunk, attach power to the fuel pump via a toggle switch inside your car, and tie it into your gas tank at the filler neck. When the level of your fuel gauge starts getting your attention, hit the switch and fill up.

You may also be able to use one of the gas tanks designed for small outboard engines. The line the bulb is attached to is one way flow. I don't know if it would deliver gas to the system at a rate equal to use. I use the line for siphoning gas.

Just a few ideas. My Dad was really good at Afro-Engineering er... Creative Engineering, so I come by it honestly.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Allan,

How much fuel are you looking to carry?

1) What does the Tiger get for mileage now?

2) Do you have to conform with any organizations requirements FIA, SCCA, etc.?

I am sort of thinking you'd need 30 gallons +. If you check Speedway they have a 32 gallon tank which would be fine for street but I am not sure it has any compliance certifications (it is still a nice tank):

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Steel-Can-Fuel-Cells,447.html

Speedway also carries Race Safe:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Fuel-Safe-Racing-Fuel-Cells,2271.html

I would just note the dimensions of the 32 gallon versions and see how well they would fit. It sure is easier and cheaper to get an off the shelf tank.

Steve

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Steve, Bob, Michael, and all,

I like the pictured option showing a tank standing to allow retention of room for a spare tire. I will have to do some homework and report back. Perhaps a SII tank can be made safe for such use.

I estimate mpg to be up to 15.

I don't know the rules for use in a sanctioned event and had not considered that but, now that it is mentioned, I would like to drive around the Road Atlanta track on the day each year it is permitted although I don't see me as skilled enough for a real race at such a track ... :)

OTOH might be nice to try...

My focus is primarily on more informal events such as the two big surface street rallies in Ga each year, that typically run from north Ga to south Ga, ending at the coast near Florida.

I've seen guys put a pair of 5 gal cans behind the seat but that strikes me as a bad plan.

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Allan:

Yep, I agree...full gas cans ANYWHERE in the car turn it into a rolling time bomb. I would vote for "if you're going to do it, do it right" and install some sort of a safe fuel cell that you can properly attach. There are all types of them on the market and you would be well advised to find out what, if any, requirements there are concerning such things with any club you intend to run open-track events with.

For instance, my Alpine Series I vintage race car had a plastic 8-gallon drag-race-style fuel cell in it when I bought it. I guess it was legal with CSRG on the west coast, but it sure wasn't legal with anyone I planned on racing with. Consequently, I ended up installing a "Fuel Safe" fuel cell where the old plastic one resided. Mine goes through the opening in the trunk for the old gas tank, but I know they make them for Tigers and late Alpines that will sit on the existing trunk floor without any major modifications. And, the "Fuel Safe" cell is a very safe unit.

Best of luck and take some pics of your Tiger for us all to see!!!! I'd like to see how it's progressing since I'm familiar with the car.

Take care,

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Andy,

I have only a few pictures so far. They are found at:

http://s826.photobucket.com/albums/zz184/allanballard/Sunbeam%20Tiger%20Mk1a/

If you see Dennis I hope you will let him know the car is much appreciated. I will have it on the streets as soon as the brake and clutch master cylinders arrive from Holland.

I also need to renew the boots on the steering rack.

I posted the work done so far on the TEAE site but it is what might be expected for a car stored since 1982.

Thank you for posting the car's For Sale note on the forum. It is original which is what I like best. I am still pinching myself to make sure that I was the lucky one to get there first.

Now my dream of both an Alpine and a Tiger is realized.

Lots of work to do to get the car fully streetable much less "rally ready" but I love every minute of it.

Thanks again,

Allan

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Allan:

Thanks for the pics! You're obviously making progress with the car and it appears that it's in good hands. Glad to have been able to point you in the right direction! Best of luck with it and if you need anything, just drop me a line!!

Take care,