• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

front end alignment

mbruskin

Donation Time
I have seen it in this forum that 300 lbs should be in the car when doing an alignment, but can't seem to find that in the WSM. Just finished putting upper and lower ball joints on my series 5 Alpine along with new tie rod ends and shocks. Tomorrow is front end alignment day (again). What specs would you shoot for without any weight in the car? My caster is off (5.0 and 5.9 degrees) and that will be adjusted also, with shims behind the forward upper a arm bolt.

I have seen on the forum to get the caster the same on both sides and then add about one half a degree to the right side.

If you were going to the alignment shop what would you do?

Thanks,

Murray

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have a copy of WSM 124 and it specifies 300 pounds in the car. Problem: no two people can agree on just what the best specs are. Sort of like doing brain surgery will an ax. Depending upon your expectations, it seems that anything close to zero camber and about 1/8" toe will work fine. Seriously, I think the most important thing is for it to be set the same on both sides.

Bill

RootesRacer

Donation Time
When I was much younger, I was entertained by the drama that unfolded at an alignment shop.

The customer was irate, he had had the car aligned 3 times in as many days, and the manager was to the point that he just wanted the customer to go away.

The customer was a rather large man, I'd put is weight at around 350.

The shop failed to compensate for his exceptional mass in a fairly lightweight compact (a gremlin).

The entertainment came in the form of the manager having the obese customer sit in the drivers seat whilst the alignment was done.
The workers took their time for sure, but I saw a smile on his face when he came back from the test drive.

Moral to the story is to load the car with about the same weight and distribution as to how it will be most used.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
The WSM species that the car be loaded until it settles on the "gap gauges" and recommends approx 300 lbs loaded onto a platform that is inserted into the front jack stands. Here is the page in WSM 145 that describes it:

http://www.rootes1725cc.info/wsm145/WSM_F/F.htm

Select page 5

There are later pages that give the dimension of the gap gauges.

But when I went to an alignment shop they insisted they knew how to do it so I just gave them the specs and let them do it.

Tom

Nickodell

Donation Time
Depending upon your expectations, it seems that anything close to zero camber and about 1/8" toe will work fine. Seriously, I think the most important thing is for it to be set the same on both sides.

Bill

He was asking about caster, not camber.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The shop that did the alignment work on my tiger and alpine does a lot of race prep (and the owner is a well known historic rally guy who is VERY pedantic... i like him a lot)

When they are settign the cars up they measure it with 1 person in the car 2 people and nobody.. they then ask what my normal passenger load is.. and set it off that.. on the alpein they also commented that the back axel was out of alignment to centre by 3mm .. they asked if i wanted it corrected.. got to love pedantic people..

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
He was asking about caster, not camber.

Re-reading his post, I'd say that is debatable. I read to refer to all parameters. Regardless, I'll stand pat on my answer. My car is setup "square" and I like the way it drives, both by myself and with my wife as a passenger.

After all, he did ask what I'd do.

Bill

mbruskin

Donation Time
Thanks for the responses. I will have the alignment done without me in the car, and then get in the car and see what the difference is. Then I will have him make the changes, if any. It will be interesting to know what the difference is with me (205 lbs) in the car.

Thanks,

Murray