• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Front damper colour

Limey

Donation Time
Hi all,

Another one for the wise ones.

What is the probable original colour of the front dampers on a Series II? At present I have a set of correct pattern but new Monroe's which are a dark teal colour that can't be original.

Would it have been the colour that the manufacturer was making them that month back in the 60's?

Many thanks!

Oliver

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm pretty sure original shocks were black semigloss. However, another acceptable period color for British shocks would be medium blue semigloss.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I'm pretty sure original shocks were black semigloss. However, another acceptable period color for British shocks would be medium blue semigloss.

Kevin i'm sure you are right, the SI-3 Alpines used the black armstrongs, as for the blue I have seen many "woodhead" shocks in rootes boxes with correct part numbers in a blueish grey which i think were later replacement units when chrysler had more control.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Kevin i'm sure you are right, the SI-3 Alpines used the black armstrongs, as for the blue I have seen many "woodhead" shocks in rootes boxes with correct part numbers in a blueish grey which i think were later replacement units when chrysler had more control.

Yes, exactly - the replacement shocks were often medium blue, or as you noted, blueish gray.