• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Front Brake Rotor

jlupicki

Donation Time
So the calipers will work but the rotor won't work. That is interesting. Are there any alternatives for the Alpine rotor that doesn't cost $85+?

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Are your stock rotors missing, severely worn or warped to the point you can't have them machined?

I only ask because on my SV with the odometer reading 86,000 miles the stock rotors are still amazingly thick and serviceable.

As far as aftermarket disc brakes, I know for sure the Capri calipers will work but I don't know what guys have been using for rotors if not stock replacements.

jlupicki

Donation Time
My right front is warped visibly. Not sure what the numbers would be if measured but it's enough that it is beating the crap out of the caliper/pads.

I was just trying to wrap my head around the Capri calipers work but the rotors won't. The Capri rotors are less than half the price of the Sunbeam so they seemed an attractive way to go.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
My right front is warped visibly. Not sure what the numbers would be if measured but it's enough that it is beating the crap out of the caliper/pads.

I was just trying to wrap my head around the Capri calipers work but the rotors won't. The Capri rotors are less than half the price of the Sunbeam so they seemed an attractive way to go.

My take on this is that if they did, we would have known about it a LONG time ago. Calipers are a standard thing where many different manufacturers have the same set of specs so that different manufacturers can supply the same part more or less and the have second source-ability.

In the case of the caliper, I dont think that lockheed has one that is compatible but enough of the car companies used the "girling system" that there are other options out there besides a sunbeam application.

The rotors on the other hand are an entirely different matter since the manufacturer designs these typically for a single application or a narrow range of similar applications.
The rotor problem has been bothering me for a while (since the early rotors dried up about 10 years ago) and now that the later ones have dried up, I wonder if anyone is going to step up and start making aftermarket.
One would think that it would be easy making rotors but its not since they are cast iron or cast stainless steel and the investment of the tooling would not be cheep.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
I looked at the Capri rotors long ago, with machining they may work but I would do more investigation. To make new rotors from scratch the material is ductile gray cast iron used for this purpose, and a lot of machining. :cool:

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I looked at the Capri rotors long ago, with machining they may work but I would do more investigation. To make new rotors from scratch the material is ductile gray cast iron used for this purpose, and a lot of machining. :cool:

The key point is if the offset of the mounting to the disc is the same as the alpine rotor. New holes can be machined and the OD can be modified but if the offset isnt about right its a no go.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Sounds like a good time for vented front disc swap. 90's Honda Accord looks pretty close on offset. 4 cylinder version is 10.25" diameter, V6 and wagon 11.1" diameter. Simple dual bolt pattern adapter plate and caliper adapter for Honda caliper.

Attachments

• 90's honda accord.jpg
    90's honda accord.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

jlupicki

Donation Time
I don't want to beat this thing to death but does anyone have a print or dimensions of the Series V brake rotor? I have access to a well staffed and stocked machine shop. Maybe I can find the correct offset and machine what doesn't match or something. Surely there is an alternative somewhere.

ruedikuhn

Donation Time
I am trying to do the same thing. replace my front rotors.
first i wanted to change over to vented disks. i found Nissan 1978 200sx. they are the same height, the bolt holes would need to be elongated and i am not sure there is enough metal left. nissan bolt circle is 95mm alpine 85mm hub on nissan 73mm alpine 65mm. i think the studs are 3/8 on the alpine.
http://www.atlautosports.com/fits-front-1979-nissan-200sx-performance-brake-rotors-atl03125-02/
i also found this toyota disk it is a solid disk, but with similar issues and it would need a shimm.
http://www.atlautosports.com/fits-front-1979-toyota-celica-performance-brake-rotors-atl03137-03/.
this is as far as i got.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I think the Toyota rotor could work with right thickness shim/adapter with dual bolt pattern with stock calipers.