• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Freshening up Bakelite

KenDemp

Donation Time
Does anybody have any tips for freshening up the Bakelite in the interior? The top steering column cover have faded to brown. It looks as though it may have had a coat of something black at some point. I would spray it, it seems like it would hold paint ok.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you can remove the brown oxidation you can then apply some wax and it will be nearly as good as new. Some folks like to paint the Bakelite, but I like to restore it to its original, soft, natural sheen... it looks so 1960's that way.

I'd remove the cover from the car, put it over a box (to collect all the debris) and then use 0000 [very fine] steel wool to remove the brown oxidation. (This is one of the few cases were I'd use steel wool - ordinarily I prefer to use brass wool since it leaves no rust-able material behind, but in this case the brass would discolor the Bakelite.) Don't use the steel wool in the car since the little bits that fall off will rust and stain the carpet or worse yet accumulate in the corners and encourage rust on the car itself.

Once all the oxidation is gone, use some white automotive rubbing compound to polish the finish. Wash thoroughly to remove all polish residue and dry. Apply carnuba wax in 2-3 light coats. Buff to a nice sheen.

socorob

Donation Time
I wet sanded and washed it very well. That got most of the brown off, then I kept applying black India ink until it finally stopped soaking in. I used a small styrofoam paint brush to put it on. I think someone on here had a link to a website about restoring old Bakelite radios and that's what several of those guys do. It comes out nice. Plus it won't peel off and look terrible like painting it does. The color goes into it, not just sits on top of it. Then just buff it. I think a few members posted picture of what it looks like when done a year or 2 back.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I did all my Bakelite w/ India ink about 3 years ago and it has held up very well.
If you use it be very careful as a little will go along way.
The sanding/wax method sounds easy enough and you know you have the original tint of black.

KenDemp

Donation Time
Thanks. I was actually thinking of trying black shoe polish, kind of a combo of the methods. I'm cleaned it up real well the other day, so I'm going to go at it with the steel wool and see how it looks. I have a pretty good collection of waxes to try, see if I can get a good look. Nice thing about the steering column is that there is all kinds of real estate to try different things.

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
Your idea of using liquid shoe polish is what I did and continue to do when necessary. Kiwi liquid black with a sponge applicator on the top makes this an easy job! I don't remember having to sand. I just cleaned then applied. Works well inside the glove box too - the open glove box or whatever it is called on the dash.

KenDemp

Donation Time
I went with black Kiwi wax shoe polish followed by an application of Butcher's bowling alley wax with amber tint.

in the first pic, the bottom is waxed, and it was a little darker to start.

Attachments

• IMG_1132[1].jpg
    IMG_1132[1].jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1133[1].jpg
    IMG_1133[1].jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 49

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I went with black Kiwi wax shoe polish followed by an application of Butcher's bowling alley wax with amber tint.

in the first pic, the bottom is waxed, and it was a little darker to start.

Looks great! Much better than paining... that nice warm glow is perfect.

sharong

Donation Time
I use this stuff, have for years:

http://www.collectioncar.com/detailed.php?ad=1356&category_id=5

Bought a bottle 7 years ago and I still use it as needed. It goes on somewhat dull but it buffs up very nice, you choose the amount of shine by the amount of buffing you do. Works on the black ends of the switches and all the bakelite on my car. I have not had to reapply for fading yet but it will make the undone parts of your car stand out. Every time I sit in my car I notice something else that needs to be coated and I have to go find the bottle and make everything look “prettyâ€. Some parts were coated 7 years ago and some just this last summer, fading has not been a problem yet and the new coating buffs up to look just like the older coating so you can’t tell a difference between the applications. I love this stuff and would recommend based on my personal experience.

No association with the seller.

Sharong