• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Frankenpine

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
I also saw the listing and read the description with a VW engine. If the car is as nice as described and operates well, to each his own. Even if you did not like the engine, it looks like the modifications did not alter the basic design. Maybe someone close to the seller can elaborate. I am in Minnesota, so too far for me.

JonPiz

Donation Time
nice conversion, shows what else will fit into the Alpine. I can see it now "Alpine VR6" badges being produced. Bet it gives a few people a shock with just the one tail pipe rather then the give away two pipes

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
The VR6 is one of my favorite motors ever, and I long thought the VR6's 15-degree, all-but-inline setup would make it ideal for the Alpine's engine room. But thinking about mounting a typically transverse-mounted engine longitudinally makes my head spin.

As decent 2.8s become more and more scarce, it would be nice to find a more modern engine, like the VR6, that could be kit-able. Of course, Jetta GLX's didn't exactly sell like hotcakes.

Ultimately, I wonder why this guy built it and decided to sell it right away. I would think this would be a keeper.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Looks like a knuckle banger for shifting into 1st, 3rd and 5th.

I dont think its too likely to fetch 21k in light of what a tiger costs.

Still like that motor though.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
They lowered it to $16,000. If only I had a big ol' pile of fun money. I'd buy it just to study it. And drive it. Fast.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
If I lived close, I'd definitely have a look. As the owner of a stock Alpine plus a Jose conversion, I appreciate good swaps. Looks like a good one.

jimfai

Donation Time
conversion

started out at 30k?? 25 than 20 now 16, motivated seller for sure, i predict final sale price at 14.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
It's nice to resurrect a long-dead thread. Well, this car ran across the block at Mecum Harrisburg again yesterday. It was a no-sale at $26,000. Of course, that represents a huge jump over last year's $17,000 no-sale at the same auction.

And to think I could've bought it for a cool $16,000 just two years ago.