• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Found something interesting?

Firebuff

Donation Time
So, I stripped out my old carpet and found something interesting on the passenger side.. see pic.. the old carpet was cut to allow the slots to come through.

My question is, what are they.. braces for a foot rest? It appears to be an added floor pan, from when I don't know, but who ever had the car after the install and before me had seen fit to keep them.

Should I cut them out? Is there a foot rest bar that goes across? What do you folks think?

FYI, that's my little car buddy showing me how much he likes turning wrenches!!

Attachments

• Car Floor.jpg
    Car Floor.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 62
  • little buddy.jpg
    little buddy.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 55

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes. Mounting brackets for a foot panel. The panel covers the area where the RHD foot pedals would go if it was a RHD car. The panel attaches to those floor mounted brackets on the bottom and rests against the firewall up top.

I'm working on re-installing my panel because it will help with fitting my carpet kit. Up to you if you want to remove those brackets or attempt to get a replacement panel. I think the brackets are mounted with rivets, so you can drill the rivets if you want to remove the brackets.

See attached photo of my panel (which has had a repair in the one corner and is missing the slot to attach to the bracket).

Mike

Attachments

• Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 39

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Looking a little closer at your photo, it looks like your panels have been re-worked, including the sheet metal on the firewall area and those brackets may be custom. Anyways, you should be able to work out a panel to install if desired.

Mike

alpine_64

Donation Time
The footrest wasn't to cover brackets for alternative pedal side but to provide a flat surface for passengers feet and make the carpet install easier and more regular. They were introduced on series 3.

Your floors have been replaced and someone has made their own mounting brackets for the false floor. The originals are like an inverted T . sunbeam specialties sells repro mointing brackets.

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Something interesting.....

Those panels are great for hiding things like fuse blocks and the Ford Duraspark control box. It makes the engine compartment cleaner and gets the Duraspark "brain box" out of the heat of the engine compartment. Excessive heat is what kills the Duraspark "brain boxes" and shortens the life of the box considerably. One of the Sunbeams I built had hinged tabs rather than riveted to the floor, which made access to the space underneath the panel easy. Just some thoughts from the years of experience building Alpines and Tigers.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Another great idea....

Those panels are great for hiding things like fuse blocks and the Ford Duraspark control box. It makes the engine compartment cleaner and gets the Duraspark "brain box" out of the heat of the engine compartment. Excessive heat is what kills the Duraspark "brain boxes" and shortens the life of the box considerably. One of the Sunbeams I built had hinged tabs rather than riveted to the floor, which made access to the space underneath the panel easy. Just some thoughts from the years of experience building Alpines and Tigers.

Jim, I wish I had thought of that before my latest installation (behind the panel)...

I now have a remote radio antenna and the Duraspark neatly tucked away. I added plenty of Dynamat and LizardSkin too. With George's idea of the Cruise, what next?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
It was very thoughtful of Rootes to design and place the panel where they did. Mine is home to the Megasquirt, sparkbox and cruise control. Getting a little tight down there!

Bill