• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

forged Alpine Crankshaft

alpine_64

Donation Time
Rocco,

There wasd a dark bluw SV alpine raced in the UK a few years back that was a 1725 with a billet crank, that was custom made, if you were intereste din somethign like that speak to steve smith in the UK (contact through the STOC racing register) or mayeb try and get mike broome in the UK's contact details.

As for forged cranks, the SII alpines running the 1592cc ran a forged crank, this was likely a response to the issues of SI's spinning brearings.. but by S3 they went back to cast cranks. All the 1725 factory stuff was cast as far as i know.. including the holbay motors.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Well if its not obvious forged and billet are not the same.

Forged is superior but billet is pretty good since you can use a better quality steel than the nodular cast iron used on the stock 1725 cranks.

Holbay was the only company I have ever heard that offered a billet crank, and when last they were available they were something like 2000 pounds sterling.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
As for forged cranks, the SII alpines running the 1592cc ran a forged crank, this was likely a response to the issues of SI's spinning brearings.. but by S3 they went back to cast cranks. All the 1725 factory stuff was cast as far as i know.. including the holbay motors.

Just curious: if someone (I won't say who) was going to build a hot S3 engine, would it be a good idea to use a SII crankshaft?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Just curious: if someone (I won't say who) was going to build a hot S3 engine, would it be a good idea to use a SII crankshaft?

This is the first I have heard that ANY 3 main cranks were cast.

You sure about this Michael?

Someone needs to look at a later crank and see if they say EN16 and do or dont have a forging line.

alpine_64

Donation Time
This is the first I have heard that ANY 3 main cranks were cast.

You sure about this Michael?

Someone needs to look at a later crank and see if they say EN16 and do or dont have a forging line.

Jarrid, been a while since i have seen a 3 bearing crank that wasnt the SI 1494 in my SII (argh!)

I recall discussion a few years back that rootes had switched to a cast crank after SII.. or maybe these were 3 main hillman cranks finding there way into alpines. I know someone with some 3 main engines sitting around but he is on holiday in canada at the moment.. will wander over and have alook when he gets back.

S man.. you going to build a hot 3 main motor? I have been meaning to give you a buzz but have so far not had the timing right.. wanted to see how your rep down under was doing (recovering) and also warn you of impending "C/O" deliveries! :eek:

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I think you are going to find that ALL alloy head rootes 1592 engines used forged steel cranks.

The SI to SIV WS manual alludes to this telling you to be careful in identification of the crank by its "EN16" marking, which is an alloy identifier.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks guys. For now, I am just curious, but in answer to Michael's first question, yes I am thinking about building a hot engine for the S3. I am not sure if I will do that with the car's original numbers matching engine, or the spare S3 engine I picked up a couple of years ago, but I doubt I will be happy with a totally stock engine when the time comes. Of course, that time might not come for a while, but it would be a shame to sell my SII engine for a song, only to discover that the crank would have been ideal. It doesn't sound that way, but I will be interested in any further conversation on the topic. I am in no hurry.

As for your second question, Sara (for those who don't know, my 25 year old daughter currently lives in Australia) is doing reasonably well but still hasn't had the surgery (again, for those still reading, she is basically a cowboy who heards race horses on a dirt bike; at least she was until she blew out her knee when her bike hit a hidden rock in a field) . She is working in the office, as she hasn't been cleared to return to active duty and not very happy about that. The good news is that she will be coming home shortly for the surgery and, hopefully, to stay after that. We are negotiating with the insurance company right now, but this what her AU doctor has recommended, due to the complications of her remote location. We will be very happy to have her back, although that does put a crimp on our plans for a second visit down under.

Thanks for asking. Feel free to send more packages. We just enlarged the basement, so there is plenty of space.

muzzagod

Donation Time
1725 Racer

Jim, I see you used Chev rods in your engine. Can you tell me more on this please? eg what rods and which pistons you matched up etc.
I have a Series 6 Minx which I hillclimb and sprint here in Australia.

Murray

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim, I see you used Chev rods in your engine. Can you tell me more on this please? eg what rods and which pistons you matched up etc.
Murray

The club used to publish a quarterly magazine called the Marque and all back issues of the Marque can be found on this website at http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?categoryid=86. There were two articles on the Chevy rod modification published in the Marque. I wrote one for Issue 11 (http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/alpine_marque/issue_11.pdf) and Jan Servaites wrote one for Issue 14 (http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/alpine_marque/issue_14.pdf). Between the two of them you should be able to learn just about anything you need re: the modification, but there have been multiple discussions here that will fill in any missing information. Your best bet is probably to search via Google. "chevy rod" site:www.sunbeamalpine.org should get you going, although I am afraid that it will also come up with anything I have posted, since my signature has "Chevy Rod" in it.

Anything not covered previously can surely be answered by someone here. Not me, probably, as I pretty much put everything I know into my article. :eek: