• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Forest Green Series V - resting comfortably

Callasports

Donation Time
I thought the Factory Original might be a good place for this thread to be posted. But being a relative new-comer with the SAOCA - and new to Sunbeams - I don't carry enough "fire power" and knowledge to usually add anything of substance to this section... I stay in awe when I read a lot of the posts and see how much some of you know about every variation and nuance with the Alpines I - V. So, if my thread needs to be moved -- I completely understand ;).

My recent purchase is all original & complete -- just not running. I picked it up in D.C. in May after seeing it on BringATrailer.com and making a deal with the owner that Saturday. By noon the next day, she was on our trailer and heading south to Raleigh, NC.

This car shows 52,323 on the odometer and is still wearing a '74 Penn. inspection sticker. The seats, dash, steering wheel, door latches, panel gaps, floorboards, door assy, rocker panels, trunk floor, ft & rr quarter panels, etc are all in really good condition. No rust - other than some older surface rust on fender arches and bottom side of rockers that appears to be from sand, stones, and road debris from back in the day. Motor was pulled by PO in early 80's I'm told. I have it in various pieces and split up among 4 or 5 cardboard boxes. The transmission and front calipers are also in old, oily boxes and will need careful consideration when the goods are reassembled some day.

Now, roughly 2 months later, the only changes made to the car have been using a random-orbital buffer to compound and clean the paint and following that up with a good carnuba hand wax job. As you may be able to tell, the Forest Green looks okay. It won't win shows, but I like that this car is going to be a Survivor and wear its patina of scratches and small dents along with the hazy, but straight, chrome bumpers. Today, I removed the headlight and front turn-signal assemblies to wipe out 40+ years of dust and grime behind the fixtures. I will be in need of some new rubber gaskets for small items as well as carpet, brakes, rear taillamp lenses, and who-knows-what when I get to the engine rebuild.

I do have one question for the group right now: After cleaning up the exterior and interior of the car, what order would you follow with updating the brakes, rebuilding the engine, reassembling the trans, addressing the suspension, inspecting the wiring, and cleaning out the fuel tank(s) system????

I feel like this Series V is fairly unique in its originality. I hope to contact some earlier owners of the car who are/ were located in Penn. I think it would be neat to see why the car went into storage around 1975 and why it was left to sit for a few decades... Enquiring Minds Want To Know!!

Attachments

• 67SV 7-5E.jpg
    67SV 7-5E.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 156
  • 67SV 7-5G.jpg
    67SV 7-5G.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 67SV 7-5O.jpg
    67SV 7-5O.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 67SV 7-5N.jpg
    67SV 7-5N.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 140

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi, great looking car. There are a few Alpines around the area. I am not very familiar w/ the late series but will try to help out if I can.
Think you will find forum members to be very helpful in getting your car up and going.
Welcome to the forum.
Doug

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hey and welcome to the world of Sunbeams. You will find this group very helpful and here on the east coast we have plenty of Alpine/Tiger owners that will be willing to help. You asked about the order to do your work. I would say that it depends on how soon you want this old beauty back on the road and how much of the work you can do yourself. There really is not a certain order that will help you with what you have listed other than trying to finish the engine and tranny at the same time may be helpful.

There are several events in North and South Carolina that we (Sunbeamers) attend and would love to have you in the mix with us.

Cheers,

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Very nice car. Looks great. Forest green with white wheels and original to boot is hard to improve on. I'd fix the emergency brake, engine and transmission in that order, so you can drive it. After a few trips, I'd fix the regular brakes.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Looking good!!! I would pull the gas tanks first, have then cleaned and lined and while the motor is being rebuilt go through the brakes, they are easy to get to and also drain the trans and rear put in new oil and grease very thing you can, oh and check the steering box chances are there is no oil in it and fill it with white litium grease that way the oil leaking out of the bottom of the steering box will keep you from pulling it, it is a PITA to fix the bottom seal. Call me If you need any help. :cool:

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I assume you know, but you didn't mention tires, so be sure to understand that 35 year old tires can look good but are a major danger and must be replaced before you drive it faster than 20 mph.

Tom

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Great looking car! That sure looks like a perfect Forest Green. So many have been mis-colored and don't have that "yellow" any longer.

Good luck with the project!

Paul

Callasports

Donation Time
Thanks for the comments. I must admit, the digital pics with flash really make this #4 - 5 paint look like an 8 or a 9! It's almost more fun looking at the car in pics than in person since it has a better appearance on the web than in the shop!

Forest Green really is an interesting color... not what I would call a BRG, that's for sure. But, I do like this shade. Paul, your reference to the "yellow" in this color - that hit home with me. I couldn't exactly put my finger on this before, but there is an underlying tone of yellow in the paint that I didn't see until your note.

I think I'll take George's advice on the tanks and do my research on how you all have properly sealed them. My brother's first guess is to look into some Eastwood products & that may be the route that some here have taken.

George, BullDurham, and all Alpine fans in and around the Triangle & Triad-- I'll treat you to steak dinners and beverages of your choice if you'd be willing to look things over and share some of your Rootes knowledge with me. Maybe when the temps die down later in the summer/ early fall we could have an impromptu Sunbeam gathering in Willow Spring, NC????

I love the note below to use caution with the tires:), because these 30+ yr-old Sears Allstates and Dunlop rayon tires are only good for static display.

Keep you posted as the story here continues.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
On your gas tanks give me a call and I can set you up with the right stuff and remeber that the prep of the tanks is what makes the difference in a good result and a do over!!!!!:cool:

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Nice car. Well, since it doesn't run, have you considered coming over to the Darkside? :eek:

Callasports

Donation Time
Darkside..., hmm, it is intriguing to picture the Alpine with a little more get up and go. Of course having no get up and go as my starting point of reference would make my old Toro riding mower look like a hot rod as compared to my static British art display that I currently enjoy.

I love Miatas. Their engines are bullet-proof and rev happy, and their 5 speeds shift like a dream. These would be great & I've read all the posts about the Texas Miata swap that's in progress. That owner is SO talented.

But, I think that this survivor deserves a chance to stay original. It has somehow persevered this long without any modifications (that I'm aware of), and it should stay that way I guess...

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
Hey looks good even if pictures take off a few years . Yes what George says about gas tank is right on if you get the eng. rebuilt and set the carbs, it can all go bad quick, with a bad gas tank. All advise is right on for a rolling restoration, and once your running on new rubber you'll want to stop, and you can check all once you have vacuum for break booster. but you can by pass it and bleed the system before you work on the booster.
Good luck hope to see you at a show soon.
Stephen
PS
I also want to invite you and all who read this to come to MGs on the Green this Sept in Harrisburg NC don't need your Sunbeam to come its free and you'll meet many British car owners there. Check on line for registration form its free to all British cars

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
...I think that this survivor deserves a chance to stay original. It has somehow persevered this long without any modifications (that I'm aware of), and it should stay that way I guess...

Fourty plus years to get the way it is. It's actually not that bad of a static art display. Very nice car indeed.

Callasports

Donation Time
Fourty plus years to get the way it is. It's actually not that bad of a static art display. Very nice car indeed.

That's right... 40+ and not hacked up or left out in the weather. How many good cars (many more valuable than the Alpine) were neglected and left in various back yards awaiting their owners' help in getting back on the road?

For art display, I wish I had the sort of Man Cave that would allow a car to be rolled into the den and parked by the couch. If I had such a place this car may never get beyond where it is now...:eek: