• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ford differential resized to fit the Sunbeam ?

beijing_ken

Donation Time
Hi All,

I need some help in finding a place to get a Ford 8†differential assembly resized to fit the Sunbeam body.

What I need to know is the cost and if someone could recommend a place in Alberta, Canada (or a neighboring province,) or in a northern state like Idaho or Montana, that has done one in the past.

Looking forward to your replies.

I had a year of time wasted by a tool of a machined near my hometown and I am hoping to find a trustworthy shop.

Please help,

Ken

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Resizing the 8 inch Ford rearend

To do what you want you need to have both axle tubes shortened, then the axles will have to be shortened also. Look for a differential shop or contact any of the local hot rod shops. If either of them don't or won't do it, ask them to refer you to a shop that can. First time I had it done the original axles were resplined after being cut to length. This time a different shop had custom axles made by Moser in California. First time the job cost me $750 (10 years ago) and this time the cost was $1100.

Also contact your local racing community....the circle track guys, the drag race guys, sports car racers.....any of them would probably know someone who does this type of machine work. Check out any of the hot rod magazines for adverts from axle/differential shops. Several of my hot rod buddies have shipped their rear ends to shops in California with the exact dimensions etc. they desired and the companies shipped the completed piece back to them. That can be rather costly and shipping costs were close to the cost to make the requested changes. I hope this information is of some help to you.

bashby

Donation Time
I just purchased a Ford 8" with axles from Currie Enterprises. USD$862 including UPS shipping. I provided them a drawing, they made it to size using one of their 8" new housings, and new axles. I am using the 3rd, member with the Auburn LSD and 4.11 gears from my current Ford 8".
-Bill

Last edited:

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Ford 8"

I'm currently looking for a shop to do the same work in the eastern Washington, northern Idaho area. I heard there's a shop here in Spokane, Wa that does custom axles, but I haven't been able to locate him yet. If this would be any help to you, I can post what I find out, if/when I get ahold of the shop.

-Kyle

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Resized 8 inch Ford rear diff

Kyle: There is a hot rod shop in East Spokane, I think on Sprague Avenue. I am sure that if they don't do it, they'll know who does. Can't remember the exact name, but I think it's Dave's or Don's..........anyway I remember that it's a first name, probably of the owner. I am in Spokane 2-3 times a year and have been meaning to go by that shop....just never got around to it.

RON N BKFLD

Donation Time
Ford 8 inch

google Dutchman in Nampa Idaho. They shortened my 8.8 rear end. I also had an 8" shortened at currie, took twice as long, and cost more...Ron

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks! I have been trying to contact Westbergs Advanced Engines for a couple days now for them to cut some valve reliefs into my pistons, and figured I'd ask him if he knew the name. They've been unable to answer the phone, so I'll have to keep trying. Otherwise, I'll contact that shop in Idaho and have them do it. I'll be sending stuff to Modern Driveline soon too, so I guess I'd better work on my shipping/packing skills, haha.

-Kyle

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
You could find a 90-92 4.0 V6 Ford Ranger 8.8 axle and shorten the long side to match the short side and use another short axle. The V6 guys can do the same with the 83-92 Ford Ranger 7.5. If you want to shorten 1" more off each axle to eliminate the C clips and use Moser 8.8 ends for small 9" bearing(axles must be turned down .020 to press small 9" bearings on). Ranger Forum has info for using Mustang disk brakes.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
You don´t want to use a Ford 8.8 rear end. They are a lot heavier than the 8",and with the restricted room under the Alpine, difficult to install. The 8.8 also has a terrible flaw, in that it uses the axle shaft itself as the inner race of the wheel bearing, sdo when the wheel bearing goes bad, you´ll need to replace the axle too.

In a V6 application, it draws too much power to drive it, because of the size of the gears, so you´ll get a lot less power to the ground. The 8" is so strong, you´ll never break it, so why go to an unsuitable rear end? As a matter of fact, unless you plan on putting the biggest V6 in front of it and be drag racing it a lot, your stock Alkpine rear end will suffice. All you need to do is change out the axle woodruff keys and make sure all the ring gear bolts are tight. It will work just fine.

Jose

Last edited:

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
This is good info. The only reason I was going for the 8.8 is because they're available all day long here for $90, and if I got one from a late '95+ explorer, I'd have disc brakes and 31 spline axles and most have a posi. I was going to have the C clip problem fixed when having it shortened. I never considered an 8" until I read an article just a few minutes ago. I got a list of what cars they came in, and a few of them pop up around here from time to time. I'm assuming there's a way to convert them, or at least some of them, to a disc brake setup? Jose, I will be running a roller 302 with all the bells and whistles with aluminum heads and ect., with similar setups making no less than 400hp at the crank. So with over 350hp to the tires, I'm gonna have to do some reinforcing on the 8" axle (I think the 8.8 would handle it?) so my stock Alpine will most likely be posted for sale on here once I pull it out. I'm going to be doing some more reading on the 8" though, because I'd rather not have any issues later down the road that could lead to frustration and more money going out for dumb reasons.

Thanks guys! -Kyle

RootesRacer

Donation Time
8 inch uses the same axles as 9 inch (other than 4 lug only available on 8 inch axles).

Considering the weight of the car, the 8 inch axle will be plenty strong, I cant picture any beefing up that the 8 inch would need.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Kyle,

I had a turbocharged 2.8 V6, producing over 400 hp. in one of my Alpines. The little V6 won´t put out the amount of torque your 302 will, so if you feel you will be drag racing it often, you may want to consider a Ford 9", rather than the 8.8. It is still heavier than the 8", and hard to make fit under the Alpine, but you don´t have those C clip problems nor the wheel bearing problem. The 9" is even stronger than the 8.8" also.

I did break my 8" eventually, because to get it to launch, I had to rev it to 5K and side step the clutch. It took it for several years, and finally broke the carrier bolts and almost blew the whole carrier out the back of the housing.

Your stock rear end will not work for you at all.

Jose

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Axle

As said here regarding the 8.8 axle they are cheap,we have used them 3 times two Tigers and a V8 Alpine we built,we shortened them ourselves and had Moser respline the axles, the Alpine was 400 hp by the way, and we never had any problems and they fit just fine if you shorten an 8.8 from a Mountaineer you can center the pinion and shorten one side aprox 1" and the other 7" you can then respline the axles making the left the right etc.
The are heavy but, you could contact Moser Eng which is in Portland Indiana
by the way, they do this work on a daily basis if you shorten an 8.8 correctly you'll end up with a 51" track width.

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Axle

Wow Jose! :eek: Well, looks like I've got some options to consider. About the 8" needing to be beefed up, I had read that in a review of the 8", 8.8", and 9" axles. I've built plenty of motors from NA to running turbos & superchargers, but I've never done transmission or axle work. My Alpine will be my first complete build up of a car besides an 81 Monte Carlo I had years ago with hydraulics (ya, I was into that. But hey, it was a fun car haha) but I was able to just bolt stuff up and go with that car because I wasn't planning to race it. I don't think I'll be spending a lot of time at the drag strip in my Alpine, but I was just wanting to make sure it could handle some good spirited driving if I needed to. I don't have anything set in stone for my axle, so I will consider whatever will best fit my need. I don't have a huge budget for the car at the moment, and I don't want to cheap out on something either, but I am looking to save as much as I can respectively without issues later on. I'm guessing from what PROCRAFT said, I'll be needing a 51" track width? I really appreciate all the input on this. I'm enjoying this new learning experience, and I'm looking forward to getting another step closer to enjoying this car.

-Kyle

Last edited:

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Procraft,

You still haven´t solved the wheel bearing issue. The 8" is a lot better for what he wants to do with the car. The Alpine is pretty light and it will break the tires loose way before he comes close to breaking it.

Kyle,

You don´t need to beef up the 8", it is the stock Alpine rear that needs to be worked over to make it last. The 8" came in 289 Mustangs from the factory, and I´ve seen some pretty BAD 289s running them.

Jose

As said here regarding the 8.8 axle they are cheap,we have used them 3 times two Tigers and a V8 Alpine we built,we shortened them ourselves and had Moser respline the axles, the Alpine was 400 hp by the way, and we never had any problems and they fit just fine if you shorten an 8.8 from a Mountaineer you can center the pinion and shorten one side aprox 1" and the other 7" you can then respline the axles making the left the right etc.
The are heavy but, you could contact Moser Eng which is in Portland Indiana
by the way, they do this work on a daily basis if you shorten an 8.8 correctly you'll end up with a 51" track width.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Jose, I agree the 8" is fine but hard to source. The Currie unit sounds like a deal except it is just a housing with axles, you still have to source the pumpkin and posi. A lot of guys with the MGB's use the 7.5 Ford and 7.5 S10 with V8s and I agree with the light car spinning the tires. The Ranger set up with the special Moser 8.8 ends(small 9",same as 8") to allow the elimination of C clips and shortening 1 additional inch per side comes out 51 1/4", about perfect width. The axle bearing surface on the 7.5/8.8 (same 28 spline axle)has to be turned down .020 to use the press on bearings. Many of the 7.5s come with Trac-Loc posi and 3.45 and 3.73 ratios. the 8.8 is commonly 3.55 ratio. The Trac- Loc should be alternating clutch/steel instead of pairs like factory. I tighten them up by using a used clutch and steel on each side and new clutch/steel rebuild set. Tru-Trac gear type posi and aftermarket Lockers are also available for these rears. I also setup ring and pinion to minimum tolerances and use Ratech solid pinion spacer. I weld the tubes where they enter the housing. 94-04 Mustang rear disk setup is simple.

Last edited:

pcmenten

Donation Time
Two options that don't require shortening axles or housings are the MGB axle and a Dana 44 axle from mid-70's jeep CJ5/DJ5. The Jeep axle shafts would need to be drilled/welded for Alpine bolt patterns, and have the hubs turned down. The B axle mostly came with 3.91 ratios. If you wanted to stay with wire wheels, the B axle for wire wheels is a smart choice. I think the stock B axle is the best low-budget choice.

bashby

Donation Time
Quick Performance offers reconditioned Ford 8" 3rd.members in Open and Posi with choice of ratio's but, you are correct that they are expensive as the posi alone is a $500 option with the open differential assembly being ~$500.

Last edited:

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Two options that don't require shortening axles or housings are the MGB axle and a Dana 44 axle from mid-70's jeep CJ5/DJ5. The Jeep axle shafts would need to be drilled/welded for Alpine bolt patterns, and have the hubs turned down. The B axle mostly came with 3.91 ratios. If you wanted to stay with wire wheels, the B axle for wire wheels is a smart choice. I think the stock B axle is the best low-budget choice.

I always thought the DJ5/CJ5 D44 had an offset pumpkin (drive flange not down the middle).

The jeepster and commando with D44 do have a proper width and the flange in the middle. They are pretty rare to find though.
This other than the axle spline is essentially a tiger axle.

pcmenten

Donation Time
There were a few years of CJ and DJ Jeeps that had the centered diff. I'll bet Jim chimes in real soon with the exact years. If not, a visit to the MGB V8/British V8 web site will answer the question.

And I wanted to say thanks to you (and Jim N.) for the highly researched and very knowledgeable technical help you provide to us. :D

Edit: I'm not finding which years from looking at the British V8 web site. I'll do some more looking soon to get the exact info, but off the top of my head, it was 72-75 CJs.

Last edited: