• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ford 2.8 Mallory distributor

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

Before I learned how to hook up the Duraspark unit, I used one of these in my first Alpine. It was a maintenance pain in the butt. The points needed changing every 7/8,000 miles, and the plugs too. Changing the points was a bit of work too, because the distributor housing is so small, that I had a hard time removing and replacing the points while the distributor was still in the engine. It was easier to remove the distributor, replace the points, adjust them, replace the distributor, then retime the engine, than to try to do it with the distributor in situ.

The constant cost for parts, (points and plugs), plus the frequency of having to do that job all over again, led me to shout Halleluah!, when I found I could get away from it. If you like tinkering with your car, you might want to go with points, but I didn't enjoy repeating the job and expense. The plugs last about 30,000 miles with the electronic ignition.

Jose :)

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

Before I learned how to hook up the Duraspark unit, I used one of these in my first Alpine. It was a maintenance pain in the butt. The points needed changing every 7/8,000 miles, and the plugs too. Changing the points was a bit of work too, because the distributor housing is so small, that I had a hard time removing and replacing the points while the distributor was still in the engine. It was easier to remove the distributor, replace the points, adjust them, replace the distributor, then retime the engine, than to try to do it with the distributor in situ.

The constant cost for parts, (points and plugs), plus the frequency of having to do that job all over again, led me to shout Halleluah!, when I found I could get away from it. If you like tinkering with your car, you might want to go with points, but I didn't enjoy repeating the job and expense. The plugs last about 30,000 miles with the electronic ignition.

Jose :)

Jose
That problem I never had.I on good advice put a MSD unit in at the same time I put the mallory dual breaker in.The MSD unit gave up about 150,000 miles and I never repalced it. Spark was fantastic.Points lasted as I lubricated the cam with each oil change.Plugs lasted a long long time as well.I did change plugs and points a few times in the life of the car because I thought well maybe they needed it.
Yes it was easier to pull the distributor to change the points.Good markings as to position before pulling was a no hassle re install.Sure I would check the timing but such a simple task it was also a no hassle part of the job.