• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ford 2.8 beehive valve springs - 4.6 2v

pcmenten

Donation Time
I'm looking at the dimensions and specs for beehive valve springs. Comp Cams has springs with 93 lbs at 1.570" and 198 lbs at 1.020". Bottom ID is .738".

26113-16

Seems like a quick and cheap hack to fit these to a 2.8.

And they have titanium retainers if you can afford the price - $15 each.

Paul

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Paul,

The idea behind beehive valve springs is that the ends of the springs (especially the retainer end) have a smaller diameter than comparable "straight" springs. The smaller spring end diameter also means a smaller retainer diameter all of which can result in less reciprocating weight. Less reciprocating weight may allow more radical cam profiles, more RPM without valve float, lower spring pressures, etc.

Keeping the original spring end diameter and increasing the diameter of the spring body actually increases the reciprocating weight.

I have always heard that the Ford 2.8 V6 could be revved to 7,000 RPM without valve train or bottom-end problems, so I don't see what benefit the beehive springs would provide on a street engine. An all-out race engine is a different discussion.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Last edited: