• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

flywheel and rear end

phatt

Donation Time
I have two questions. Did the last of the series V's use the 3.89 rear end? Second, did all alpines use the same flywheel. I have a flywheel which will not bolt to my series V crank. What car did it come out of? I may want to list it on ebay. Thanks,Paul Hatter

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'm pretty sure ALL seriesVs had a 4.22:1.
What I know about the flywheels:
Series I - two mounting pins for 8" clutch plate
Series II - three mouning pins for 8" clutch plate
Series 3 - " "
Series IV - " "
Series V - lighter; Uses 7.5" clutch
I think they should ALL bolt up to the crankshaft either 1600/1725 and have the same starter ring gear

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Rich,
That's with the older Alpines, where if they OD, the rear axle was 4.22. Without OD, they came with 3.89.
I'm pretty sure ALL series V, had 4.22s

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
North American models from B94102641 to B39510312 all had 4-22:1 differentials.

Mark ..... volvoguys

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
This is interesting, with the main point being for sale in North America?

For example, Sunbeam Alpine and Tiger by Graham Robson (Crowood Press 1996/2003), an English publication, indicates that Series Alpines had standard 3.89 and optional 4.22/3.39 OD except for S3, which had 3.89 standard and 3.89/3.12 optional OD.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
For some reason which I have never been able to understand, the later Series Alpines that were shipped to the USA with OD were supplied with a 4.22 rear while the home-market cars and those for Europe came with 3.89 rear. Pretty stupid, really, given that America is full of open roads and Europe and the UK are full of twisty ones.

phatt

Donation Time
The serial number that this rear end came from is B395018100.I am confused! What do I have? If I have a 4.22 I would possibly like to buy a 3.89.:confused:

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Per the very late Series V serial number, if your Alpine doesn't have "OD" listed on the VIN tag, then it should have 3.89's. However, yours wouldn't be the first to have blown up the original and have a replacement of different ratio.

You'll have to go thru the wheel spinning/counting exercise described in other threads to know with certainty which ratio you have - or take the diff out of the car and read the numbers on the crown wheel.

The serial number that this rear end came from is B395018100.I am confused! What do I have? If I have a 4.22 I would possibly like to buy a 3.89.:confused:

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
It it impossible to determine what is in the car by serial number as it could have been changed.

I believe there is a way to jack up the rear turn the wheel a certain number of times and see how many times the driveshaft turns. The ratio then can be calculated. Can someone confirm this?

65beam

Donation Time
rear end

the series 5 cars that came to the states had 4.22 gears in the rear regardless whether they had overdrive or not. if it's a series 5 rear axle and has not been changed out ,it's a 4.22 .

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I have been told the reason for the 4.22 rears in all Series V's was the Chrysler Marketing Dept. wanted a lower 0 to 60 time. Having lived through those times, it seems plausible.

The quick & dirty procedure for checking your rear. Jack up one rear wheel (and support safely). Put a mark on the drive shaft and the jacked up tire (chaulk, masking tape, etc). Put trans in neutral. Rotate the drive shaft exactly 2 rotations. If your tire has rotated slightly less than 1 full rotation, you have a 4.22 (2.11 rotations of the driveshaft should equal 1 rotation of the tire). If your tire has rotated slightly more than 1 full rotation, you have a 3.89.

The thing to remember is that with only one tire spinning, your results are 2times reality.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Please! Don't confuse the lad after we got him on the right track.

The mid-Series V switch from 4.22's to 3.89's in U.S., non-OD cars is well documented. See: Light Range Manual, the factory Parts Manual or Sunbeam Specialties' catalog.

the series 5 cars that came to the states had 4.22 gears in the rear regardless whether they had overdrive or not. if it's a series 5 rear axle and has not been changed out ,it's a 4.22 .

65beam

Donation Time
rear end

if you look at the series 5 dealer literature, you'll find they show the 4.22 gears for both the early and late series 5 cars .

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm getting a bit confused here. I have 2 '66 series V's. One with a very low serial number. So did all series V's have 4.22's? I've been looking for one for my conversion. I haven't checked what mine is, I had just assumed it was a 3.89.:confused:

RootesRich

Donation Time
Mike, you're not the only one confused... ;)

I took a look at what's posted under the technical data section on our website and according to the SAOCA (for SV's): Standard 3.89:1 rear end (4.22:1 with OD) LRX models had 4.22:1 standard on all models.