• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Floor Panels

63-WRAY

Just got an email back from Rob Martel in Canada on Floor Panels. " We've experienced way too much grief from Sunbeam Alpine owners and do not have any interest in your project." Who pissed him off and where do I get a set of floor panels for a 63s2 without spending a fortune to remake new ones in the shop. Thanks, Mad John

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Not to re-hash this whole thing...

When complaints were voiced apparently Alpine owners were most vocal. With that said, I remember un-happy Tiger owners, too, posting to the Digest.

Clearly, Rob has had happy customers and un-happy customers. It is his business and he can choose to run it as he chooses. Simple as that....

There should be no further discussion of Rob's business in this Forum OR the thread will be locked.

The question presented ask where can John find Series 2 floor pans?

Steve Silverstein

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Mad John - you didn't realize it but you brought up a very sore subject; one that has been hashed and re-hashed on this board many times, so as Steve points out we won't go down that road again.

Bottom line is that the complaints didn't surround the quality of the panels, which were superb and worth every penny, but the lengthy turnaround times and very poor customer service experienced by Alpine owners (and Tiger owners) when dealing with Rob.

He has chosen not to deal with Alpine owners - so be it.

To answer your question, you can post your wants for sheet metal on our board and probably find some help, and you can also contact some of the UK Sunbeam suppliers because they do offer sheetmetal.

Best of luck!

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Ok, I may be able to help you guys out.
I may need a day or two to check back in my notes of 2002. There was a fellow that was making the floor plans and he is only about 15 min. from my place of work (mitchell, ontario). I beleive the pans had all the correct punching but would need to be finished/cut to fit.
Would you like the information? I could also bring a set to the Invasion if needed.:)
Regards,
Andrew

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Rob's sheetmetal parts are for Tigers (and late Alpines). There are no early rear floors here in the States. I want to tool up to produce them. I have no time to work on that effort right now.

63-WRAY

Floor pans

Sorry guys. I guess there's no way to let the new guy in on the bad stuff until he brings it up. Consider it over! I'll check back to see if anybody comes up with anything else and in the mean time talk to my garage and let them know we may have to fabricate our own. Sorry and thanks again. Oh, somebody should remove Rob from the list of vendors on the TEAE sight so this doesn't happen again. And Rob, my apologizes to you to. Later, Mad John

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
John,
These floors can't be formed by hand (if I understand your point about going to your "garage" and fabricate them in-house), they have to be stretched in a pair of forming dies. Do you need the front floors? I have those.
Jan

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

Rob's sheetmetal parts are for Tigers (and late Alpines). There are no early rear floors here in the States. I want to tool up to produce them. I have no time to work on that effort right now.

Jan,
I have been looking for at least a set of front floors for my 1962 SII for over a year. If you ever do tool up to make them, put me down for a set. I would also like to replace the rear, but they are not as bad as the front.
Lee

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes, I was going to place another order for more floor pans made. I have a set here that I could ship ASAP to you.
I'll send you a PM on the details.
By the way, installing new floors is not an easy job. I would say there's about 70 manhours in replacing the fronts only.
I need a few early rear sets for my projects, so I will get to that point in time, sometime in the near future
Jan

Jim E

Donation Time
Those pans out of Canada are pretty nice, used them on my SV. They are stamped from somewhat soft metal and are pretty easy to work. Which I found nice since did not have much in the tool line but hammers and flanged vice grips. They are also big and require trimming whch I think is a good thing. Andrew I bet you could sell a dozen sets if you brought them. Jan is dead on with the scoop of the job, it is a pain. I have or had a bunch of pictures posted somewhere of the pan replacement on my SV. Found it

http://rides.webshots.com/album/129345359FFOOwu

at the shop rate of 80 bucks an hour I could have bought a restored car for what it would have cost me to do this job.....

Jim E

Donation Time
Old grey mare, long story the boils down to the car being thrashed by everyone at the Invasion, this was when it was a 10 to 1 side draft weber monster that was a nice mover... end story when I got the car home it was time for an engine rebuild..... right after that was when I decided that a rev limiter was a must

63-WRAY

Floor pans

Maybe Jan? What do you want and I guess if I have to ask I can't afford them. The guys working on mine have a Metro restoration shop and said they would stretch and press new floors, l,r,f and b for about a grand if I couldn't find them any cheaper and I guess I can't gripe about a shop rate of $47. per. Oh and I still need thoose two pieces of bakelite trim for the top of the inside of the doors, anybody? Mad John

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
John,
if you can get all the early Alpine floors made for "for about a grand", that's not a bad price. Martel's Tiger floors are over $1,000 for a full set now.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Oh and I still need thoose two pieces of bakelite trim for the top of the inside of the doors, anybody? Mad John

Those "hockey sticks" are currently being reproduced by Kip Motor in Dallas. Not sure if they're available yet, so you might want to keep checking their website or give them a call to find out. www.kipmotor.com

caribbeantom

Donation Time
I have the front set of floor panels and the passenger side rear panel. These were from a pressing that Jan Servaites had done. I cannot say all of the Series these are compatible with but I used them for my Series III. I had to purchase another set to get a replacement panel for the rear driver's side. It seems the body shop put a rookie on the panel to test his ability. The experiment did not work. They fired him the day before I stopped in to see the progress. Needless to say, I made them pay for the replacement. If anyone needs the remaining three panels, please let me know.
Thanks
Tom

V

vlangan

Sold?

Tom:

Please let me know if you still have these for sale.

Vince