• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Floor Mats

chris

Donation Time
I've see floor mats in Victoria British that say,"Tiger" on them, but I've never see any that say, "Alpine". Does anyplace else possible carry them or do they just not exist?

Thanks

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
I had a set at one time in a parts car, Got rid of them as they were no bigger than a large Mouse Pad. :p

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
But understand, they are NOT patterned after the originals, just a nice square aftermarket generic mat with the Alpine script moulded into the mat.

I say this because years ago I sent out a plea for original mats and a very kind person offered his set for free because he wanted carpeting. When they arrived you can imagine my disappointment when they were the very mats you're inquiring about. :(

mikephillips

Donation Time
Most folks anymore don't know what original ST type floormats looked like. Wish I'd kept mine years ago but it was the early 70's and I was a teen who wanted carpet.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
What happened with the gentleman who posted here a few months ago seeking nice originals for a repro effort? He seemed to have a diemaker lined up for the task.

Ken

GTosel

Donation Time
Alpine and Tiger Floor Mat

The floor mat mentioned as rectangular with ribs and Alpine or Tiger raised letters do exist. I happen to have one of each that came with my Alpine many years ago. Great condition and look unused. I always wondered why there was one of each Alpine and Tiger. Please let me know if you want pictures or someone wants to use for pattern.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Thing is those with the Alpinr and Tiger on them are not manufacturer originals. That guy was looking for the original 2 piece from to back ST floormats that came in the cars. and good ones are now hard to find.

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here's a picture of an original rubber mat. It happens to be an NOS driver's side mat for a Series II RHD car. I pulled it straight out of the original wrapping and took a picture, so it has not been cleaned up.

Anyway, you see how it's contoured for the floor pan of the car.
Series I & II were like this; one per side, and they ran under the seat.
Series 3, IV, and V came in four pieces (two front and two back, meeting under the seat)

All of them had button snaps on the corners to attach to similar items on the floor to keep them in place.

They are becoming increasingly rare these days as people throw them to replace with full carpeting, but unless your car originally was a GT it had rubber mats.

Attachments

• NOS RHD Mat0003.jpg
    NOS RHD Mat0003.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 69

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
And here's a picture of the back side so you can see the snaps I'm referring to.

Attachments

• NOS RHD Mat0001.jpg
    NOS RHD Mat0001.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 65
  • NOS RHD Mat0005.jpg
    NOS RHD Mat0005.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 48

Nickodell

Donation Time
I'm sure that Renault dealers have "Alpine" mats. One might - sacrilege! - buy a pair and cut them to fit.:p

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Scott, there was a full set of floor mats that came with my Series V shell; threw them away last week. Were totally rotten. I doubt a casual observer would have been able to ID them as floor mats. I think decomposition is the reason most of them were pitched.

Bill

RootesRich

Donation Time
I've see floor mats in Victoria British that say,"Tiger" on them, but I've never see any that say, "Alpine". Does anyplace else possible carry them or do they just not exist?

Thanks

Chris, to answer your original question, the Alpine script mats haven't been available for years. I was looking to pick up a 2nd set in the late 90's and they were gone by then.

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

Ken, I don;t know if it is the same person, but under PARTS WANTED, a fellow useing the name Limey is looking for a set to have some made.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
I have just found a Sunbeam Specialties Parts Catalogue from July 1990 which lists the rectangular rubber mats. They are 12" X 17 " - the Alpine one is part number IP72A and the Tiger IP72T. They sold then at $30 a pair. Does anyone on your side of the pond know a person working at SS whom they could approach with regard to obtaining another batch? The tooling might still exist.

65beam

Donation Time
i have two sets of these that say alpine on them and they move around every time i move my feet . they dont stay in place on the rubber section on the driver side .