• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Flickering guages

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Does anyone know if there is a voltage stabilisor in the Series 1 instrument power supply? looked in the WSM but cant see any mention of one, but maybe someone out there knows more?

I have developed synchronised flickering on both the fuel and temp gauges (the frequency being similar to what I would expect if a stabilisor were failing), but first a little background.

In the course of accessing the heater various wires were dislodged and reconnected, in due course I refitted the temp guage wires back to front and blew a fuse.

Since replacing the fuse I now get the above mentioned flickering, although the fuel guage has always had a random wander due I suspect to poor earthing; the temp guage flickers from the start as the engine warms up and wont get up to the normal reading point anymore.

So now I don't know if I have fried the guage or perhaps a stabilisor, all suggestions welcome. :eek:

chazza

Donation Time
Does anyone know if there is a voltage stabilisor in the Series 1 instrument power supply? looked in the WSM but cant see any mention of one, but maybe someone out there knows more?

No it doesn't; I found out after buying an electronic one :(

Check the earths behind the instrument panel for cleanliness. etc.

Cheers Charlie

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
No it doesn't; I found out after buying an electronic one :(

Check the earths behind the instrument panel for cleanliness. etc.

Cheers Charlie

Thanks Charlie, yes did the earths etc. no joy so I guess I fried the guage, don't happen to know where I could get a replacement?

Thought there might be a little more input on this topic, but perhaps the Series 1 is a bit of an orphan.:)