• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Flat rate manual

alpinegt

Donation Time
Does anyone know if Rootes dealers had a flat rate manual for repair work. In 25 years with Sunbeams, I have never heard of one. I am getting into an area of my restoration where it would be very helpful (front suspension rebuild).

Thanks,

Russ

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
They do - they called it the Man Hour Schedule and it gives the various estimates on what it would take for certain tasks. I have one - what specifically were you looking for?

alpinegt

Donation Time
Scott,

Thanks for the quick response. I am replacing the link bushings(control arms), lower ball joints, and tie rod ends. A good estimate of time would be very helpful (Deadline looms).

Thanks,

Russ

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
Steve Kirk has a copy he is scanning for us and I should have it on the web site soon, it will be under the member section.

Paul

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I realized last night I never got back to you - my apologies.

My Man Hour Schedule book is dated 1964. The estimates I'll quote are assuming complete removal of the assembly (for example a wishbone) and installation of new or rebuilt parts, then putting the assembly back on the car.

Top Wishbone - 1 hour 55 minutes
Top swivel bearing - 1 hour 15 minutes
Trunnions (for Series 1 through 3 Alpines) - 1 hour 30 minutes
Bottom swivel bearing - 40 minutes
Bottom Wishbone - 1 hour 30 minutes
Shock absorber - 20 minutes
Coil Spring - 1 hour 5 minutes
Rebound Rubber - 25 minutes
Bump Rubber - 10 minutes

It was also interesting to look at the list of special accessories to see what it would take for the Alpine:

Install heater kit - 4 hours 30 minutes
Radio - 3 hours
Badge bar - 30 minutes
Seat belts - 1 hour
Door mirror - 45 minutes
Wing mirror - 15 minutes
Electric clock - 45 minutes
Cigar lighter - 45 minutes
Bonnet motif - 30 minutes
Reverse Lights - 1 hour 30 minutes

And get this - 2 hours and 30 minutes to install a hardtop?!? Did it not come fully assembled and ready to put on the car? Strange.

Hope you found the above on the front suspension helpful.
Scott

alpinegt

Donation Time
Thanks Scott. Seeing your info makes me feel much better. I tackled the job last weekend and I was within an hour of the manual.

Russ

mikephillips

Donation Time
I'm guessing the hardtop time included adjusting the windshield and door window fit and possibly the softop since it might no longer seal right.

Keep in mind that those manhour estimates assume all the proper tools are there at hand......

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
Scott sent me the scanned labor times, I will get it on the web soon. Just busy and the T Storms have made me turn off the confuser more than it has been on lately. 3.5 inches last evening and has been that way for the past week but clear and sunny now.

Paul